Sats year 7

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

Sats year 7

Post by Guest »

My daughter achieved level 2b in her recent year 7 sats, and the teacher has told me that she will never pass the 11 plus. Is this correct?
MelX

Post by MelX »

Sorry to sound silly but why i sshe doing year & SATS

MelX

Post by Guest »

MelX wrote:Sorry to sound silly but why i sshe doing year & SATS

MelX
Sorry I meant year 3 sats aged 7

Post by Guest »

2B would be average national attainment for a year 2 child. Often many children about 50% in my sons class achieve a level 3 in year 2. However, it does seem a bit early to write a childs hopes of passing the 11+ off - you will need to see how she develops this year but if she hasnt reached a decent level 3 she might well struggle with the 11+.

Post by Guest »

I think it would be unfair to write a child off so early. My 10 year old is now preparing for the 11+ and is the brightest girl in her class, in year 3 she was only just above average (although she did score level 3s). However, many children of the children who were considered to be the top of the class have fallen by the wayside. Children mature at different ages and there can be a large age difference between the oldest and the youngest. Nurture her love of reading, help her to enjoy learning and see how she gets on. Year 4-5 is probably the earlist you can really think about the 11+ JMHO :D

Post by Guest »

MY son achieved 2a in literacy (which was his best reseult - I expected a 2b) but got 3s in reading and maths in ks1 sats.
During year 5 the year group was split into 2 groups for literacy after the christmas break. My son was in the bottom half (only for 1 week I have to stress - he wasn't very happy about it and pulled his socks up and was moved up a week later). He took the 11 plus less than a year later and passed with flying colours.
If you have a generally bright child, it is amazing what can be achieved with a little extra attention to their weaker areas.
Children are very young when they first take SATS. A lot can happen in 4 years. The 11 plus is a very tough test though.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I think the teacher is very wrong to say that she will never pass the 11+. A great deal can happen in the next few years. Many children start to take off around Year 4/5.

Also, the 11+ (depending on where you live) can consist of Verbal Reasoning and Non-Verbal Reasoning, which are not tested by SATs at all. Unless the school have done tests in these - and if they feature in the 11+ for your area - why not try some of the Bond Assessment papers for age 7-8 that you can get from this website?

I was told at age 9 that I would never be any good at languages. I went on to take a degree in four languages, and have taught myself a fifth. So much for that damning comment!

Good luck
Sally-Anne
danger

SATS and future attainment

Post by danger »

2 of my children got 3's in all their key stage 1 SATS and I was told at that stage that they "would pass the 11 plus" if required. The third got two 2's and a 3 and nothing was said.

At the end of the day, the two with the 3 3's got in to grammar and the other one didn't so I guess that the teachers were right.

Having said that, child 3 is in top set at the comp for all subjects, has fantastic reports and was assessed, at the end of year 7, as being working fotwards level 7 in English and Maths and just within the 6 range for science. Frankly, the comp has been superb and all the children love their schools.
jah

Post by jah »

My eldest daughter got a couple of 2s in KS1 SATS; but the teacher said that she was just having one of those days. Also she has Aug 13th birthday, which is taken into account when adjusting 11+ results.

She went on to get all level 5s at KS2, and Levels 7 for English and Science, and Level 8 at Maths for KS3. Now in year 10.

Her school requires pupils coming from outside into the 6th form to get get at least 6 As at GCSE, and 86% of A'level passes are As or Bs. It requires a lot of work all the way through school and the pupils need to be self-starters.

An experienced teacher will have an idea who will be successful at 11+ because they have seen it all before. She will know whether your daughter was having an off-day. If your daughter is not on target for level 5s at KS2, she would be miserable at a Grammar School if you managed to coach her through the exam.

Don't worry about the 11+ at the moment. Your priority is to help to raise your daughter's overall literacy level. You can do this with the help of any of the fun workbooks that you can get from all the major booksellers.

Keep reading to your daughter. I am currently reading the Lemony Snicket books to my Year 4 son, because he's not up to reading them himself yet. It is possible to find time for this!!
sj355

Re: Sats year 7

Post by sj355 »

My child achieved 2b in his Year 2 SATs and was consistently well below average. At this stage it was also mentioned that he needs language therapy, does not properly understand English etc. I ignored everything.

He then proceeded to achieve a 5a in his year 5 SATS in Maths, writing and spelling, and according to his year 5 report had already finished everything that is going to be taught in MATHs in year 6. He is currently just started doing year 8 Maths in his year 6 class (together with 2 other kinds in his year 6 class, in a small very average state primary comperhensive) and has jumped at the front of everthing in his class (despite being the youngest) including Science, English writing and Spelling. His teacher can never put down a story written by him unless she has read it all. I have also read one or two and it is actually gripping staff! Only compehesion still eludes him; he is "only" well above average in that.

Different kids have different ages at which their mind develops. Count yourself lucky. Your child will flourish at a later age, and hence will burn out much later as well. This comes from a professional with more that 20 years expeirence in HE. By the way, I am a University Professor in Econs and Maths and much the same was said about me when I was your daughter's age.

Anonymous wrote:My daughter achieved level 2b in her recent year 7 sats, and the teacher has told me that she will never pass the 11 plus. Is this correct?
sj355
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now