Music Aptitude Test

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
erica11

Music Aptitude Test

Post by erica11 »

Could anyone in here tell something about Music Aptitude Test and how to prepare for it? Any thoughts are appreciated! Many thanks in advance!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I am not musical at all so I can only recount what my children did in their music aural aptitude tests - one has started St Paul's Cathedral School as a chorister this year and the other was tested when he was at a choir school.

They were asked to:

1.sing scales that were played to them
2.copied a series of clapping exercises
3. had to sing a particular note in a chord played on the piano i.e. middle note of three, or highest/lowest note of two
4. la a note that was played on the piano
5. la a tune played on the piano

the chorister test also included a reading aptitude test and a practised hymn which he prepared at home.

If your query is about instrumental scholarships to senior schools then competition is fierce and many children are easily at grade 6 and above on their first instrument and grade 4-5 on their second. However I have known many children to gain scholarships on much lower grades because they play unusual instruments such as the bassoon or french horn.
erica11

Thanks!

Post by erica11 »

Very helpful! Thanks!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Is your child trying out for senior school or a chorister place or purely to determine aptitude?
erica11

Pure aptitude

Post by erica11 »

He is going to do pure music aptitude test, do you know any materials for preparing this? Many thanks!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I tried to find aptitude tests but had no luck. Some friends told me a few things that would be expected in the test based on what their kids told them, and this seems to have been the same esperience for my sons.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

most MATs look for

rhythm
melodic memory
listening and awareness.

I don't know which school/area you are preparing for but most schools
expect some keyStage 2 music ski11s.

try the BBC schools Music website.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/schoolradio/music/ ... l#srpromo1

at least you can hear some music to get yourself more acquainted with what is coming.

Most are done 'on the piano' like a normal music grade exam
so if you have a keyboard, you can try out the exercises that T.i.p.s.y outlined
so your child can sing the required notes or clap back to you.

Even random chords/scales wi11 provide some familiarisation.

Does your child have a music teacher?
They usua11y know how to prepare for these sort of tests.

You could also listen to radio 4 during car journeys to try to pick out notes and 'la' along.

Good Luck
[img]http://dl2.glitter-graphics.net/pub/503/503972nj1p7cqdyc.gif[/img]
tense

Post by tense »

In my area - SW Herts - many children sit a MAT as there are some "music" places available at our local (partially selective) state schools. Those who score highly are called back for an audition - they can sing or play any instrument.

If you look in the Herts section of the forum below, go to a thread called "SW Herts consortium schools - frequently asked questions" (currently top thread on page 2 - sorry, don't know how to post a link). Scroll down to a section on the music tests where WP gives some useful info about the test. Hope you find it helpful!

T.
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

good one, tense,

http://www.parmiters.herts.sch.uk/welco ... sions.html

( to post a link, copy page addre55 onto post, highlight addre55 and click on URL box on the top right hand side of the posting box)
[img]http://dl2.glitter-graphics.net/pub/503/503972nj1p7cqdyc.gif[/img]
erica11

Many many thanks!

Post by erica11 »

Many many thanks for you all for providing so many information and resources in such great details! Will let him try out!