Please recommend good Maths & Science Dictionaries! Than

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

essex-mum18

Please recommend good Maths & Science Dictionaries! Than

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi

My DS has just started GS this Sept. Any recommendation for good Maths and Science Dictionaries, please?

Many thanks
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

crumbs - never really come across any - have they had one recommended
Had to get french / german and english. Oh and DS has purloined my old medical one....

Science wise, I think the oxford range has always been pretty comprehensive -
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I can't remember the name but we got ones on amazon and the author was "peter robson".
concord

Dictionaries

Post by concord »

I recommend the Oxford Study Science Dictionary for anyone taking GCSE science. It is well written and contains all the material that anyone up to the age of 16 is likely to need.

The Oxford Dictionary of Science is very good for A level and beyond.

concord
chad

Post by chad »

I posted this last year
I would recommend the Usborne Dictionary of Maths for any parent with a child in senior school....excellent diagrams, explanations and examples written in a way that I can understand and my son can understand. This has the added benefit of showing the accepted way of approaching the maths curriculum. One of the best £8's I have spent. My son, now in Y8, still uses it if he is not sure of a subject.
It took my son all the way through KS3 (to a level 8 :D ) and it was extremely helpful.
vetgal

Post by vetgal »

I have a very good set of Maths and Science dictionarys, they are Oxford Mathematics/Science Study Dictionarys with loads of imformation.
By the way just incase your wondering the level is up to GCSE Standard Level. :D
Emma
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Thanks Emma
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I would second the usborne ones, excellent and they have weblinks to games etc to reinforce the topic
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi,
My son's school have recommended the BBC Revision Guides for Science.
DS in Y7 and has been advised to get the Bite Size Revision Guides. Senior pupils use the GCSE version.