Question Numbers - NVR & VR

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
TonDad

Question Numbers - NVR & VR

Post by TonDad »

On this forum on several posts and the Judd site it states that the question format for West Kent is as follows:

Verbal Reasoning (80 questions)
Non-Verbal Reasoning (72 questions)
Mathematics (50 questions)

In the NFER practice papers who I undertsand set the paper (and Bond as well who don't) there is a diffferent number of questions, namely:-

Verbal Reasoning (85 questions)
Non-Verbal Reasoning (70 questions max) - 5 x 12 questions plus 5 x 2 practice questions so 60 or 70.
Mathematics (50 questions)

So which is correct? Are there perhaps 6 sections of NVR in the real tests?

Confused of Tonbridge.

Can't find an emoticon for confsued.
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

NFER only publish 4 sets of practice papers for use across the whole country. They are intended to give children a general idea of the sort of thing to expect.

The exact format of papers for actual 11+ entry may vary from county to county and from year to year. Kent CC can and does change the number of questions without warning, as happened in NVR a couple of years ago.
One Down

Post by One Down »

Hi TonDad,
When my DD1 took the Kent test in Jan 2007, the NVR had unexpectedly become 4 sections of 18 questions in 9 minutes and I believe it was the same last year. It was a little offputting without any warning but they all coped. I'm trying to practise 4/18/9 with DD2 by adding extra questions but not sure it's worth it - just be aware of time allowed and no. of questions per section. This makes 72 questions overall.
Also, as recommended by Patricia, I cross off the last 5 of 85 VR questions to leave the eighty required.

Good luck for next week
TonDad

Post by TonDad »

Thanks for the advice, I think I'll leave her preperation as is and tell her the actual format may differ slightly but she has the skills to answer the questions just monitor the time, rather than try to match it exactly at this late stage (especially if it's prone to change again) don't want to spook her!