Single-sex vs mixed?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rebel

Single-sex vs mixed?

Post by Rebel »

Here in Aylesbury, we are presented with a choice between a 'friendly' mixed grammar - Sir Henry Floyd - and the generally higher achieving Aylesbury Grammar School for boys or Aylesbury High School for girls.

The boys' and girls' schools are next door to each other and there is said to be a certain amount of 'interaction' anyway, and joint ventures such as in drama and music.

With the deadline to choose preferences of 20th Ocober (5pm!), would anyone care to offer their views on single-sex vs mixed schooling.?

I personally went to a boys grammar and looking back I would have preferred a mixed (grammar), but what do others think? (My son has swayed towards the boys' grammar because of the wider curriculum and facilities.)
SJ

Post by SJ »

If your son was swayed by the wider curriculum and there is interaction with the girls school then this is a positive thing and your son was choicing the boys school for the right reasons. However, I went to an all girls grammar school and think I would have been happier in a mixed, but at that time there were only single gender grammar schools, so I didn't have a choice.

It really depends on your sons personality. My son has expressed that he would prefer the all boys school, but at a reecnt open evening of a local comp, he looked round it with one of the girls from his old primary school I knew that he and she had always been in the same groups for all subjects as they were both in the top group, but never really realised how well they understood and respected one another. It was quite an eye opener.
Shining Levels

Post by Shining Levels »

Interesting thread...

We are also in Aylesbury and therefore have the same issues.

Daughter is at the High - doing OK and coping, just about, with the amount of homework that is issued. Still feel it's the best place for her - she's happy and that's the main thing.
There is a 'sterility' about the place though - (not sure if I've chosen the right word).

Lad has been around both Grammars plus the Royal Latin.

The Grammar has the wider curriculum (Hmmm - 'Classics') and is fiercely driven however feels 'macho' and 'competitive' and may not be the right place for Lad who probably won't shine at anything particular.
The Floyd seems to develop a more rounded pupil possibly due to the mixed environment, albeit in certainly inferior surroundings.
The Latin has best of both to our minds.

If it was up to Lad, his choice would be Grammar as third choice behind the other two potential options.

Last night we were discussing schools again and recall this snippet..
Daughter: " You don't want to go to the Latin, when I went there, it smelt of gas"
Lad: " But it's a science school"

I have been struck by the majority of parents that cannot believe we are considering Floyd / Latin over the Grammar and can almost feel them mentally crossing us of their Christmas card list.
Maybe it's just 'us' then...
Where the air and heaven knows what else collides.
MelX

Post by MelX »

Hi Rebel

Just to let you know my son started at an all boys Grammar school this year and so far he is loving it and has not even mentioned anything about girls not being there. We live in Bucks and the school he goes to is near an all girls school and they do have some interaction.

When my husband and I were discussing it initially we were a little worried of how it would be but we are so glad we ALL prefferred the boys only now. Towards the end of my sons year 6 he and his freinds were showing signs of the 'getting into girls' phase and I think a mixed school would of been distracting.

I do agree it does depends on personaility though. My son has always been outgoing and because of having a sister and all girl cousins he is able to mix really well with both sexes. I do feel though that some kids need to mix particuarly if they find they only ever mix with thier own sex.

This was the case for my friends son who she felt would be better suited in a mixed school as at primary he had no girl friends at all as he found it hard to talk to them.

Good luck

MelX
Rebel

Thanks - and a practical question...

Post by Rebel »

Thanks to all for contributions, and I've also read quite a few 'academic' pieces online about the good and bad sides to mixed vs single sex. Opinion is so divided that it really seems to be more of a case of there being benefits to both methods of schooling and for it ultimately to be very dependent on the child.

Although it was never wholly his decision, my lad has chosen the boys' grammar in spite of 3(!) visits to the mixed Floyd, and I am inclined to agree with his choice.

I am thinking that there are also a few 'saving graces' to this decision:

1. He does have an interest in drama and music, which are two of the areas where limited collaboration with the girls' High takes place.

2. If we have to take him out of there because he hates it - then it should be an easier transition to move to the 'friendlier' mixed grammar rather than the other way around.

3. He gets to choose again for A Levels anyway so he can always change then if he wishes.

On the point of changing schools, if it came to that - let's say for Year 8 - it seems to be that he would have to take the 12+ route and do the tests again. Can anyone confirm that? If so it seems a little bit unfair, having past the thing once already.
AHS mum

Post by AHS mum »

We also have a daughter at AHS. As mentioned, there is a limited amount of mixing in the fields of drama, music and language exchanges. Also they generally go on the bus.

Having said that, it wasn't until my daughter was at least 13-14 that she talked to ANY of the grammar boys. The French language exchange broke the ice, so I would recommend this.

Having other children in mixed schools, I would agree about the slightly "sterile" air of AHS & AG. The children (and teachers!) aren't as natural with the other sex. The girls can be more bitchy and the boys more laddish without the influence of the opposite gender. But this irons out with time as they mix more out of school.

Ha ha

Post by Guest »

Shining Levels wrote: Last night we were discussing schools again and recall this snippet..
Daughter: " You don't want to go to the Latin, when I went there, it smelt of gas"
Lad: " But it's a science school"
This raised a laugh with my daughter, a RLS pupil. "Come to think of it, it does smell of gas!"

Perhaps I should be worried.... :shock:

Post by Guest »

...and before anyone starts panicking. I should add that it's a great school and I've ever noticed anything amiss!
Shining Levels

Post by Shining Levels »

:D - and here's me hoping to goodness that it has a very robust non-smoking policy.
Where the air and heaven knows what else collides.

Post by Guest »

Shining Levels wrote::D - and here's me hoping to goodness that it has a very robust non-smoking policy.
Smoking? What's that when it's at home? :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now