second appeal

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
neelwgs

second appeal

Post by neelwgs »

Hi,

Does anyone have any experience with second appeals?

We are going to have a second appeal next week for our DD and to present the same case as the first one, i.e medical & social reasons being the key ones.

We thought we had put a good case forward last time, so we are hoping a different panel will be more sympathetic.

Basically both my wife & DD are suffering with the commute to the current school (both suffer from travel (motion) sickness & my DD is getting increasingly frustrated that she cannot participate in after school clubs because of the travel.

Any advice you can give will be appreciated
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hello again, neelwgs.

How did you manage to get a second appeal?

I seem to recall you were trying to get hold of the clerk's notes via the Data Protection Act, but I don't think I know what happened next. Did you succeed?

I see no difference between a first and second appeal, except that you are more "practised", and there's the hope a different panel may be more sympathetic. Unfortunately, if I remember correctly, the success rate for appeals for WGS is not too high.

I suspect most appeal panels won't give too much weight to after school clubs - unless you can prove why a particular activity is so vitally important for your daughter. It's worth a mention, but don't overdo it unless you have some compelling argument.

You might be on stronger ground with travel sickness, but it depends how serious it is, and on the strength of the supporting evidence.
Etienne
tense

Post by tense »

Hello Neelwgs,

I seem to remember that you live quite a long way from WGS so I don't see how arguing that your DD must go there because of her travel sickness will help (even though it would be a shorter commute than to her current school).

I would suggest really focusing on why WGS is such a good fit for your DD. There were a few threads on this forum earlier this year about appeals to the SW Herts consortium schools. Although I know the posters were unsuccessful do have a browse through them - they may have some useful tips for you.

Best of luck,

T.
neelwgs

Post by neelwgs »

Hello Etienne/ Tense,

Thanks for your responses, the help you gave me last time was invaluable.

I didn't pursue the clerk notes but instead thought that when the new year started I would make a second attempt at an appeal.

I contacted the school to find out if my daughter had moved up in the waiting list, she hadn't so I asked whether I could appeal for a place. I was told I could provided i completed the appeal form, which i've done and a date has been set for next week. I'm not working at the moment so this seemed a convenient time to give it another go.

With regards the sickness, its quite draining for both mother and daughter. After a school drop, my wife is so exhausted that she tends to lie in the bed for a long while to recover.

Etienne, you're right, I'm more "practicised" now and should know what to expect.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Ah, yes, I'd forgotten you were applying for immediate entry last time, so you are just exercising your right to have one appeal per academic year.

Unlike a re-hearing ordered by the ombudsman, however, this means it could (in theory) be the same panel again. In practice, this may or may not happen.
Etienne
neelwgs

Post by neelwgs »

Hi Etienne, do you mind if i could send you a PM with a couple of questions that were put to me during the last appeal? I just want to be more prepared if i get asked the same questions.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

We prefer questions to be posted on the forum, so that others might benefit from the discussion, but I do understand that this may not always be appropriate if sensitive matters are involved.

Perhaps you'd like to PM me your questions, and I'll consider the best way of dealing with them?

I'm afraid I shall be away the next couple of days.
Etienne
neelwgs

Post by neelwgs »

Thanks Etienne, I have posted you the questions.

One thing that is different now is that the local authority are organising the appeal, the panel etc. Previously, the school had arranged everything.
Somehow I feel a bit more assured by this.

The appeal date is on Friday so I'll let everyone know how it went.
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

The very best of luck to you, Neelwgs, will keep an eye out for your news
Bouga
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Good luck on Friday, Neelwgs! (Uncrossing fingers just long enough to type this. :) )
Marylou