Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bigrob

Todays Maths test & date of results

Post by bigrob »

Hello all

First post on here.

First of all why do people write DS - I guess for son and DD for daughter? Is it dear son/daughter.

Anyway for anyone whose DS or DD took the test what did they think about it?

My DS took it with a few kids from his "out of borough" school. They all said the it was easy to start with then got harder as it went along.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow's VR test.

I am confused about the date the results will be posted. On this page http://www.bexley.gov.uk/service/educat ... index.html it says 16th October. However on the 2 Pdfs for out of borough and in borough it says the 15th. Does anyone know?

Thanks in advance.
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

Hi bigrob

My DS also sat the maths yesterday as an out of borough candidate.

He came out happy and also said it was fine, but guessed a few questions at the end as was running out of time!!

Hope that is a good sign and double fingers crossed fro today's VR, he doesn't find it as easy as the maths!!

In my Bexley paperwork it says the results will be posted on 15th and we will receive by 16th October.

hope this helps.

S.B.
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Hi SHELBELLE

Fingers crossed for today's VR. My DS is also stronger on Maths.

I email Bexley last night and got this reply

Dear Mr White

I apologise for the discrepancy in the posting date for the results. Our commitment is that you will receive the results by 17 October, and we are aiming to post them on 15 October
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

Bigrob

Another date into the equation... I am sure it will not be any later than the 17th then???

Good luck to your DS. Is he also sitting the Kent tests on Thursday & Friday?

Poor little things, 4 days of tests hope they won't be on burn out by Friday!!!

My DS is only just 10 aswell, too much for them I think, but we have to give them every opportunity of gaining a decent secondary school.

Unfortunately, in my opinion, there isn't any great comp's in our borough, so I really hope he cracks it!!

S.B.
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Shelbelle

He is taking the Kent test but I live in Eltham so he takes the test on Sat AM.

It was murder trying to navigate the one way system last Sat for the practise.

I don't hold out much hope for the Kent as I think he would be too far away.

IF he passes the Bexley he should fingers crossed be okay for Beths as his older brother is there and the Sibling rule takes preference over the distance rule.

I'll post later when I hear what he has to say about the VR test.
SHELBELLE

Post by SHELBELLE »

At least he will have a little bit of a breather then.

The traffic was terrible on Saturday, we parked a walked the rest of the way. We only live up the road so may walk in the morning and Friday.

I know in Dartford & Wilmington they have kids from Bromley & Lewisham way so I wouldn't rule it out. I am on the Bexley border and Beths is 2 miles from our house if you use the A2, so if he does it we will definately be putting Beths as our out of borough choice.

We have heard great things about Beths, just hope we will be there at the open evening after we get the results.

I too will post what my DS thought of today, he has gone with his Dad today, so hope he is a calm as yesterday.

S.B.
bigrob

Post by bigrob »

Good luck to him Shelbelle. Yes must be hard work having just turned 10 to do 4 days of exams.

I am very pleased with Beths. Academically and sportswise.
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

Hi - can i be nosy and ask what you think of Beths for music - my son is a trumpet player and we are trying to pick schools to suit him. Mind you, after his face after the maths I'm not sure he will pass - although he is like that after any sort of test he does, and ends up doing ok so i am trying to ignore it!

Also - do they do latin at Beths?

Many thanks
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Hope you don't mind me butting in, but I think Beths is brilliant for music (and a brilliant school altogether). Alas, they don't do Latin in KS3, but it is available as a GCSE option. And they do study Mandarin Chinese in Year 7.

I'm interested to hear that some children ran out of time in the Maths paper. When we had the 4 tests in Bexley the maths and english papers were usually very generous with time, it was the VR and NVR which were very time-pressured. I wonder if now they've reduced the tests to 4 they've made the maths more demanding?
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

It's a shame about the Latin as my son goes to a latin club and loves it - he would probably forget it all if he had to wait for GSCE!

his criteria for school seems to be that they do Latin and Rugby - shame I can't afford Eton really.........
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now