Ill just before the 11+

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Gercha

Ill just before the 11+

Post by Gercha »

Hi, I don't know if anyone can give me some advice but my son is due to take the Kent 11+ on Saturday, however he currently has a temperature and a headache (his sister was ill this week with the same but also had vomiting!). Am stressed that he won't be well enough to take the test and wondered if anyone out there had had a similar experience. Am aware he will need a doctor's note if he is too ill to attend, but what is "too ill" - help!!
One Down

Post by One Down »

This happened to my DD1 two years ago. If he's in the least unwell, do not allow him to take the test as he can retake within the next week or two in Kent.
My DD caught a virus from her sister and I took her to the doctor the night before in case she wasn't better in the morning. She seemed okayish in the morning (didn't know them she could retake very soon, neither did school!) She was ill during maths exam, was taken out for fifteen mins and only did 38 questions but still manged to pass well, somehow-it is her best subject. Invigilator sent a letter and I took her back to docs tht night to get a letter (£15!). Turns out they only look at both these if you fail ie at HT appeal, which luckily we didn't need. If a child was borderline in a subject, it could easily result in a failure. Very anxious two months, though.
If he's at all under the weather on Fri, make sure to take him to the docs to get it noted, as after the test is too late. Also contact KCC then and tell then in advance. One of my DD1's friends at GS was ill and retook a week later, so it does happen.
Maybe this might help someone who might have had a similar problem today - I'm sure he'll be better by Friday
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

It is always a difficult judgement, but our schools are always very clear that they will offer a different date if ill, but will not take it into consideration if you sit it and use as an excuse afterwards.
If he sat it under the weather and just failed would you kick yourself? If so sit the test later and get the doctor's note. Don't necessarily be swayed by what the child says as they are likely to want to get it over with, trust your judgement.
Gercha

Ill before the 11+

Post by Gercha »

Thank you so much. I suspect he will possibly be ok, but you are right for me to trust my instincts and if I am in any doubt then just ring in the morning. I will get a note from the doctor tomorrow and just play it by ear. It's just so tempting though to dose him up on calpol and hope for the best (as am eager to get it out of the way), but we'll see on Saturday.
KenR

Post by KenR »

On balance I think my recommendation would be to defer to the alternative date. Even if his temperature goes down he probably won't be 100% and almost certainly not focused or mentally prepared.

We have had a number of parents in your situation over the years who went ahead and then regretted it afterwards.

Better safe than sorry
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now