Official Sample Questions - 2009 Entry

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bad Dad

Official Sample Questions - 2009 Entry

Post by Bad Dad »

Hi All,

The test centre allocation came in the post this morning, along with a short booklet containing 18 sample questions. I have tried to embed it below - I hope you can see it ok?

http://www.warwickshire.gov.uk/Web/corp ... stions.pdf

I'm not sure how genuinely representative they are, but my first thoughts are that the Maths and NVR look to be fairly standard stuff. As the Birmingham people had predicted, the VR looks to be vocab-based and does not contain the NFER-style codes which I think favour children who have been taught specific techniques rather than natural ability.

Interested to hear any thoughts...[/url]
fm

Post by fm »

The cloze test (select the most appropriate word) looks at the level children have reported to me.

The non-verbal is possibly much easier than what will actually confront the children; in Birmingham we get similarly easy samples but the real thing is usually nothing like the samples, either in level or type.

Basically the idea of sending this sample sheet is to familiarise the children with the format of the test--I don't think the content is going to be at this level.
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Thanks for your comments, fm. Have you come across any materials on the market for practicing for cloze test and the other types of vocab-based questions? I haven't seen anything apart from the traditional method - Reading Books!!!
fm

Post by fm »

Odd you should ask this because only last week I googled 'cloze test' and found considerable resources on the net which I have adapted to practise with my current pupils.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

I found this on a EFL forum web site - as fm says worth doing a google search for resources:-

Choose the most suitable word:

What lies ahead may be beneath us. Some architects believe that in the future buildings will be built under the earth.Underground buildings have many advantages over surface structures, including an usual ability to 1.(reserve,conserve,provide,supply) energy.
A(n) 2.(inventing,imagining,innovative,thinking) architectural movement is focusing on structures that lie partially or fully beneath the surface of the earth in order to 3.(loosen,relief,slacken,ease) the increasing congestion of the earth’s surface areas.The efficient use of energy for both heating and cooling in underground buildings is, of course, one of the reasons they are attracting more attention today.4.(Furthermore,Anyhow,Otherwise,Above all), the earth surrounding an underground structure tends to keep the same temperature for a considerable length of time so that alternative heating and cooling systems are not necessary, because, if the heating system 5.(breaks up,breaks out,breaks down,breaks over), the building normally retains adequate heat until the equipment is repaired. Underground architecture is also very 6.(friendly,caring,gentle,moderate) on the environment. Space above ground is saved, an especially important consideration in urban areas.
Contrary to 7.(regular,popular,habitual,ordinary) belief, experiments indicate that the physical and psychological effects of living and working underground are positive. After 10 years of studying the underground Abo Elementary School in New Mexico, a panel of physicians concluded that the school was not 8.(hurtful,harmful,ruining,bad) to the physical and mental health of its students, but actually beneficial to some.
Nine out of ten of the citizens surveyed 9.(concerned,considered,considering,concerning) Abo believed that other schools should be like Abo.
For 10.(loyal,dedicated,faithful,constant) sun-lovers, architects have many techniques for bringing the sun into underground buildings. Rapid advances in illumination technology should also allay fears of the dark and gloomy areas.

This is probably the sort of level of difficulty you might get in the KE Exams in Birmingham and presumably the new Warwickshore exams

Regards

Ken
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi All

The particular English as a Foreign Language (EFL) site I mentioned above is a free resource site so I guess it's ok to include a link:-

http://www.usingenglish.com/

If you do an internal site search for Cloze you will find some good resources.

Regards

Ken
Sassie'sDad

Sample Sheet

Post by Sassie'sDad »

Hi, What this does seem to underline is that 11+ The examination format HAS changed from Standard Format to Multiple chioce and 2) There is definitely no essay style question even though Bilton Juniors said they would be conducting an in school essay paper.
teacher

sample questions

Post by teacher »

Thank you so much for posting the sample questions!
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

That's really helpful - thanks so much!

Do we know what time the exams will start and finish?
Bad Dad

Post by Bad Dad »

Rugbymum wrote:Do we know what time the exams will start and finish?
Yes, the letter also included some additional information on the arrangements which is specific to the test centre. Our test centre is Alcester, and the test starts at 9:30 am (arrive no earlier than 8:45 am). Collect at 12.15pm and you are not allowed to arrive early. There is a half hour rest break between the two 45 minute papers and you can bring a drink and a snack.

I expect yours will be similar, but presumably there might be some variation between centres.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now