Question Types for Glos Grammar Schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

silverflora

Question Types for Glos Grammar Schools

Post by silverflora »

Looking at the various question books for verbal reasoning, there is a wide variety of different type questions for children to practice.

As I haven't seen any past papers for the Glos grammar school entrance exams, can anyone help with what types of questions we should be looking at? For instance, which Susan Daughtrey question types are particularly relevant? Are IPS papers relevant?

I feel that I have really let my DD down, as we have only just started looking at these papers with the exams less than 2 months away! So any help would be really gratefully received - I really need something to assuage my conscience!

Thanks
Silverflora
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Have you done any of the Susan Daughtery books yet? If not then try downloading the Tutors NFer Type questions ( free download) that is on this site. Apparantly it is the first fifteen that Gloucs do , but I too am very new to all this.

I would also suggest getting the Letts Verbal reasoning GL assessment pack, available here. This is the NFer group that write the actual papers. Maybe give your daughter one to do and try to match up the example types she has serious problems with to the Tutors type questions techniques. These will then give her a technique to use when answering the questions which hopefully she will find useful and will improve her accuracy.

Bright Sparks is good but does have some of the extra 6 questions which may not be on the gloucs papers. I am using both sets with my son at the mo. I am also using the Tutors daily practices.
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Hi Silverflora

I just wanted you to know that you haven't let your DD down, and there is still enough time to familarise her with the question types and how to successfully answer them.

All I did with my DS was the NFER pack of 4 practice papers (recommended by the grammar schools in their admission details) and a little online revision and I didn't start until the end of the Summer holidays - my DS started grammar school two weeks ago!

Regarding the types of questions etc, I am sure somebody will be along very shortly to help you with this as I have no experience with the Susan Daughtrey books.

Good luck and don't panic!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Having read Burneths post I should add we used the Susan D books so if you have too and need to know which ones to concentrate on let me now.
gloucestermum

Post by gloucestermum »

We used Bright Sparks,NFER and Walsh-you may get some types of question that won't appear but it's all good practice!!!
Orson

Post by Orson »

The Susan Daughtery types you need to focus on:

Here goes:-

2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 16, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 31, 32, 35.

Good luck

Orson
silverflora

Thank you all

Post by silverflora »

Thank you to everyone who has given me advice and encouragement. It is really appreciated.
We are ploughing on with papers and practices and hope we can do enough to stand a chance in November.

Anyway, thank you all again
Silverflora
Burneth

Re: Thank you all

Post by Burneth »

silverflora wrote:Thank you to everyone who has given me advice and encouragement. It is really appreciated.
We are ploughing on with papers and practices and hope we can do enough to stand a chance in November.

Anyway, thank you all again
Silverflora
That's the spirit - lots of practice and a bit of fun inbetween for your DD is the recipe for success, the best of luck and keep us updated!

B
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Do the Walsh papers cover the NFER 15 questions, the BS 21 or more?

Also are packs one and two of the same difficulty or are they graded?

Thanks.
PMJ

Post by PMJ »

Orson wrote:The Susan Daughtery types you need to focus on:

Here goes:-

2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 12, 16, 20, 21, 22, 23, 26, 31, 32, 35.

Good luck

Orson
I have just bought the Bright Sparks Pack 2 test papers (been using Bond and NFer). I notice that there are no Type 23 or Type 31 questions in the four papers. What are these types in Susan Daughtery's schema (I don't have her 'how-to' book).

Thanks.