VR interative CD questions - stuck on two!

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rev56

VR interative CD questions - stuck on two!

Post by Rev56 »

DS and I have been looking at the interactive CDs and completed the free trial available on this site. On the VR test we both got stuck on q's 30 and 31 - could anyone solve them for me please?

GD is to RO as HE is to ...? (The answer is PM but we don't know why!)

MR is to CH as ZE is to ...? (answer is OT, but again we don't know how to get to this answer.)

Any help would be much appreciated.
Also, has anyone bought these CDs and have they been helpful?

Thanks
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

The first one:

GD is to RO

D is 3 letters before G
O is 3 letters before R

Same way

HE is to PM

E is 3 letters before H
M is 3 letters before P
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

The second one:

MR is to CH is also based on the number of letters between them.

R is fifth letter after M
H is fifth letter after C

For Z you need to continue forward from the beginning. Apply the same logic above and you will get the answer.

Hope this is a multiple choice question type.
Rev56

VR q's still makes no sense.. Brainy person required please!

Post by Rev56 »

Hi I'm still none the wiser for the explanation given by Gilly.
GD is to RO as HE is to ??

D is 3 letters before G
and O is 3 letters before R
E is three letters before H....yes I get that

So we know the relationship between G and D and between R and O, but what is the relationship between GD and RO - we need to know that to work out HE to ??
G to R is +11, D to O is +11, therefore we would suppose you would +11 to H and E, making SP...but this is not the answer.
Perhaps I shouldn't of posted the answer in my first post!

This is the same with the other question..
MR is to CH as ZE is to ?? What is the relationship between MR and CH?

I have looked at the Tutors free VR method & technique which explains this type of question, but it doesn't explain these two. I'm thinking I must be missing something fundamental here..!
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Rev56,

I totally agree with you. My child would have struggled on this question without the multiple possible answers.

First I tried to establish a relation between GD and RO and tried to apply the same to HE. When I realised that the answer is something else I switched to the other logic and that matched with the answer.

If this was a standard type of question then I would have applied and done with the first logic. With multiple choice questions, if one logic does not find the answer among the given possible answers we try a different logic.

Yesterday I was looking at a NVR question. It was possible to apply either 'rotate 90 degrees clockwise' logic or 'flip the shape over' logic. But the given choice of answers did not include the answer that was obtained with the first logic. So had to try the next logic and one of the answers matched. I guess the above VR questions belong to this kind of questions, especially with multiple choice questions.
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

I am in the same boat as you Rev56, I did the same thing you did. From G to R, you go forward by 11, From D to O, you go forward by 11, if you add 11 to H, you get S and if you add 11 to E, you get P.

Please can someone explain how they got their answer? Thanks
Blessed

Post by Blessed »

I get it now. So if the answer you get is not one of those supplied, try a different technique.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi Rev56

I have sent a PM.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
Rev56

Thanks

Post by Rev56 »

Hi Gilly thanks for your explaination - I'm "with it" now, finally!
This is the first time DS had done a multiple choice VR test so we were stumped!
ttmum

Post by ttmum »

Istill do not get the logic because I also got SP as my answer to question one. Please can someone explain if child is doing the standard paper, how to arrive at answer. Thanks
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now