Homework

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
zorro

Post by zorro »

Yes please do.
Talking about mountains of homework - had to send DS to bed @ 10pm still not having finished.
He said "I'm going to tell my teacher that my parents wouldn't let me finish my prep".
Have promised to wake him early to finish it - so I had better go to bed!
katel

Post by katel »

Please be careful about letting them spend too long on homework - there will probably be guidance somewhere in all the paperwork about how long they are supposed to spend on it. 10.00 sounds very late for a year 7 to be going to bed withotu having finished all his work - please don't wake him early. It's only the first few weeks of term - it's a long time til Christmas!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Katel,
It's supposed to be 30 mins for each subject- total 90mins .
But DS doesn't get home until 6.30pm so by the time he's had dinner it's about 7.30.
Unfortunately he is a perfectionist, so takes longer than 30 mins for each subject.I'm sure with time he will speed up, but coming from a state primary where they hardly had any homework ( except pre- SATs !) he hasn't got the technique of the kids that have come from prep school.
I have heard that some high achieving schools give 3 hours homework every night.
Wallasey

Post by Wallasey »

Hi NotionPotion

My DD decided she couldn't face the trip away once it went from one night to two. With her it was being away from home as well as the possibility of being asked to do scary things. Fortunately she's not the only one not going and is making new friends, so hopefully the lack of bonding opportunity won't be a problem!

We are also finding the homework mountainous. Sometimes I wish she would make less of an effort with it!
katel

Post by katel »

My dd is at a very high achieving school and in year 7 they only had 3 lots of 20 minutes.

If my child hadn't finished by 10.00pm 3 weeks into the first term of year 7 I would be writing a note asking him to be excused rather than waking him early to finish........
vas

Post by vas »

My son went from a prep to another private, but to date has been taking a lot longer than the 20 mins , 3 pieces of work (ie 1 hour). He goes to bed later than 10 some times and never before 10 except during the weekends. Katel, I don't think many parents will send a note asking their child to be excused from HW, as even for that child it could give a complex of not being able to cope. Not all children settle in 3 weeks and some never do! My son has always been forgetful and I truly thought that secondary school will be different; but has already forgotton his work/books twice and on the way to a detention. I was extremely upset, but today I have decided that I just have to accept this, dealing in the best way possible & not expect miracles!!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Hi Vas,
Thank goodness it's not just my DS!
I was beginning to think from other posts that my son couldn't cope.
I do know that they are very strict from day 1 in order to establish a routine.
Out of interest which school does your DS go to?
zorro
vas

Post by vas »

habs, elstree.
zorro

Post by zorro »

Right next to my DS - he is at Aldenham!
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi
There is an interesting article re HOMEWORK in beyond 11 plus today for everyone to share.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now