How was Verbal Reasoning for You?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ronnie

How was Verbal Reasoning for You?

Post by Ronnie »

Just wondering how everyone got on on Saturday/Monday with the VR paper?
My daughter thought it was quite hard, left 7 out and guessed 1.
She is actually looking forward to this weekend and the VR - they sat the Mock one in school on Monday and she found it easy - she was never great at this paper but might just have found something at the last minute!!
This time next week it will all be over...........until the marks come out!
spongemum

Post by spongemum »

Hi, well your Daughter got on much better than mine. She came out with a face like thunder and burst into tears as soon as she got into the car :shock: She missed out the last 2 sections, so she has failed. Shame, as she worked really hard for the exam and really wants to go to KGGS. She is exellent at the NVR, never gets below 90, but even if she managed to get that on Saturday, we know she has failed.

I am dreading the results :cry:

Good luck in the next round :)
skeggy

Post by skeggy »

My daughter missed out 5 questions. She commented that it was quiet hard. To be honest I never pressed her further as the relief on her face and about her general person that the Verbal was over was tangible.
skeggy

Post by skeggy »

spongemum wrote:Hi, well your Daughter got on much better than mine. She came out with a face like thunder and burst into tears as soon as she got into the car :shock: She missed out the last 2 sections, so she has failed. Shame, as she worked really hard for the exam and really wants to go to KGGS. She is exellent at the NVR, never gets below 90, but even if she managed to get that on Saturday, we know she has failed.

I am dreading the results :cry:

Good luck in the next round :)
I was always lead to believe, from this site amongst others, that you don't have to pass both papers to pass the whole thing, if that makes any sense.

I would tell your daughter all isn't lost and to try her hardest on the NVR.

If your daughter excels in her non verbal surely this will count in her favour.
shellie_eeyore

Post by shellie_eeyore »

spongemum my son is hoping to get into kings and he missed out about 12 questions in the vr but we havent given up hope yet. im not sure how the marks are worked out as there was 100 questions in the first paper and theres 65 in the second so alot of marks must come from somewhere else. if anyone knows id love to find out. anyway nearly all the boys came out having missed some (listening to them as ours was one of the last groups out) and one thing to remember is for the year ours are going into next school there is a far higher percentage of boys to girls so that might even bring the entry mark down for the girls side of things. dont give up yet. my son is just going to give it his best. we are viewing all other possible schools just in case though but he is really enjoying looking round them.
good luck with saturday
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Spongemum
Please do not get disheartened - a friend of my son left out two entire pages- he never noticed he had until about the last few minutes of the test!! He Passed.

Your daughter has plenty of opportunity to still pass - lets face it if she was getting 90% she was only getting about 10 questions wrong - giving that she left two sections out that would take her to about 86% - minus about 10 she got wrong she would still have a score of at least 76% which is still a pass.
She still has the opportunity on Saturday to put things back on track.
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi spongemum,

I agree with the rest!! Don't panic too much. A lot of children seem to have not managed to finish the test (one of mine included!). The exam, after all, only compares children with the other children taking the test. Your daughter is strong on NVR so hopefully she will make up some ground there - try to reassure her and give her back a bit of confidence in her abilities. She is likely to do better if she feels more confident and up-beat. Good luck.
spongemum

Post by spongemum »

Thanks everyone, We are trying to reassure her that all is not lost! I just wish that she was one of those kids that doesn't mind which school she goes to, but she is desperate to go to KG.

The only advantage to her failing is that the other girls school is exellent. We went to the open evening and were soo impreseed. I liked it much better that the Grammar. She really liked it, but is still insisting on KG.

I feel this test is going to make or break the little confidence she has. I really wish she didn't sit it, but what could I do?? As soon as she came home form school today, she sat a test paper and got 96. How do you stop someone who is so determined :?

Thanks again for all your replies. I hope everyone does well :)
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Does anyone know what exactly the pass mark is - when we went to SHS we were told 70% should do?
skeggy

Post by skeggy »

I'm no expert but I believe a sliding scale is used. If the years results are high it will take a higher mark to gain a place, if the marks are low it'll take a lower score to win a Grammar School place. I believe they have been known in, various areas, to adjust the scores to fill the places.