Teenage Troubles

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Belinda

Teenage Troubles

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I was on the "relate" website today (don't ask why :lol: ) and it has sections on parenting teenagers. As for help, I'll be asking you in a couple of years! :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Belinda - there's the rehab section when many wise words are shared.

Has your no. 1 made good choices in the sixth form - it's not too late to change course - has she spoke to her teachers?

There's only so much you can do - remember the first term is always the hardest as those dark nights begin to draw in.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

count the days until they leave home, it worked for me!

one down , one to go!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

found a good quote from DH Lawrence ...
#

from a DH Lawrence essay, Education of the People, published in 1918:

"How to begin to educate a child. First rule: leave him alone. Second rule: leave him alone. Third rule: leave him alone. That is the whole beginning."
laid back son worried mum

Post by laid back son worried mum »

LBSWM on 26th Nov 2007, 3:23pm wrote:Can I come and live in your house, Belinda, where order reigns and you sit benignly atop your TV, looking after us all?

How can you have 4 kids and still have time to read serene life boosting stuff?

Address please, I'll take the next bus, be there by tea time?
what happened, Belinda??!! :shock: :shock:

You were my hero, the light at the end of the tunnel when a11 was fa11ing apart and my mothering ski11s were being tested;

patience and fortitude were strangers and I aspired to be serene you....

now I have to idolise the good doctor Herman (see above)

and you have to come sip the bo11y in REHAB....
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Wed Oct 31, 2012 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
solimum

Post by solimum »

When my middle son started A levels (also with a clutch of A*'s behind him) at a different school he commented that it was the first time he'd ever really had to concentrate and think about his homework! Over this summer his prospective university sent him a series of maths problems which he has worked through - but I imagine there will still be a similar shock to the system when he finally starts next week....
2childmum

Post by 2childmum »

I heard a very interesting programme on radio 4 a few weeks ago about someone who had sailed through school, getting 6 A-levels (when you had the exam at the end of a two year course) - she was particularly good at maths and could easily get all her A-level homework done on the bus on the way home from school. She went to Cambridge and suddenly found that she couldn't do the maths easily, and ended up flunking her degree. There was a psychologist who said that this often happens to bright children - they never learn how to apply themselves and work at solving problems, and the later in life they hit the point when it doesn't come easily the harder it is for them to learn how to apply themselves.

This made me think about my DS. He is bright, but not brilliant, but generally most things come easily to him. He hates it when he gets a new trumpet piece to learn and can't play it straight away. His teachers say he works hard, but when i say that to him he is surprised because he doesn't think he does. He has actually enjoyed the 11+ maths practice we have done as it has been a bit of a challenge to him.

I had discounted a super-selective school in our area because I didn't want him put under a lot of pressure - now I'm wondering if I'm right - Maybe he needs to be pushed much harder now so he learns how to learn - a little pain now for gain later. I think we have left it too late to prepare for the written task, as that would be his weakest part of the test, so i will probably never know if I am right!
Rosey

Post by Rosey »

Hi Belinda,

Hope this makes you smile.

"A father passing by his son's bedroom was astonished to see the bed was nicely made, and everything was picked up. Then, he saw an envelope, propped up prominently on the pillow.

It was addressed, "Dad." With the worst premonition, he opened the envelope and read the letter, with trembling hands.

"Dear, Dad.

It is with great regret and sorrow that I'm writing you. I had to
elope with my new girlfriend, because I wanted to avoid a scene
with Mum and you.
I've been finding real passion with Stacy, and she is so nice, but I
knew you would not approve of her, because of all her piercing's, tattoos, her tight Motorcycle clothes, and because she is so much older than I am.
But it's not only the passion, Dad. She's pregnant.
Stacy said that we will be very happy. She owns a trailer in the
woods, and has a stack of firewood for the whole winter.
We share a dream of having many more children.
Stacy has opened my eyes to the fact that marijuana doesn't, really hurt anyone. We'll be growing it for ourselves, and trading it with the other people in the commune, for all the cocaine and ecstasy we want.
In the meantime, we'll pray that science will find a cure for AIDS, so Stacy can get better. She sure deserves it!!

Don't worry Dad, I'm 15, and I know how to take care of myself.

Someday, I'm sure we'll be back to visit, so you can get to know your many grandchildren.

Love, your son, Joshua.

P.S. Dad, none of the above is true. I'm over at Jason's house.

I just wanted to remind you that there are worse things in life than

the school report that's on my desk.

I love you!

Call when it is safe for me to come home. "