Mill Hill School

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ik

Mill Hill School

Post by ik »

I am going to look at this school for my son. I would really appreciate feedback on it.Thanks. IK
Lymond

Post by Lymond »

Have a son just started this term and really happy with it. Academically really improving - they were oversubscribed last year and lots of boys normally a shoo in did not get a place. There is a relatively new headmaster who has bought in some very good teachers and deputy heads eg ex Merchant Taylors and Henrietta Barnett.

Really beautiful grounds and facilites are what you would expect for the fees! Sport very strong for both boys and girls with rugby taken very seriously and the girls amazing at hockey. Drama also very strong and the head of music is quite well known in the music world and has released CD's of his work. CCF also taken very seriously but my son loves the idea. It is Saturday morning school though and some children just don't take to it. However the holidays are really long and they get long lunch breaks so the week is slighly less intense than a 5 day a week school. They have a good range of scholarships for academic, sport, music, drama and DT so if your child is strong in any of these areas worth a go.
ik

Post by ik »

Thanks

Do you mean that they go to school every saturday? My son wont like the idea.
Lymond

Post by Lymond »

Some boys don't like Saturday morning school but the majority don't seem to mind being of the age when they like to be at school with their friends. Also all the half terms and holidays begin on a Friday so they do not in total spend that many Saturday's in school. They also get longer holidays than the 5 day a week schools as they have shorter but more intense terms because of Saturday school.

My friend's boy is at St Albans and they have sport - either training or matches every Saturday as do all the independents so I guess it still means getting up on Saturdays wherever he goes!
zorro

Post by zorro »

Not true. DS's school only has Saturday sports if you are in A or B teams.
They also have school until 5.40 every day instead of Sat mornings which they had until current head started in 2006.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now