last girl in 512?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
very confused

last girl in 512?

Post by very confused »

Can anybody explain what this means. Does it relate to the order of merit? This relates to CCHSG,I thought they took the top 120 who had put it first. Please explain out of how many where a child needs to come for essex scools. Thanks
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

I am by no means an expert on this myself (see my own question elsewhere!) however I am assuming that 512 was the rank order within all children (boys and girls) who took the 11+ in Essex. The last girl accepted at CCHSG was 512th on the overall list. I am assuming that they rank all (3000+?) children and take them off 1 at a time to their 1st (and for some maybe their 2nd or even 3rd) preference school until all places at all schools are gone. Therefore the "league table" for kids who took the 11+ last year may look something like this:

1. F Bloggs - KEGS
2. M jones - CCHSG
3. A Patel - CRGS
4. J Smith - KEGS
511 P Jones SHSB
512 J Brown CCHSG
513 B Green 1st choice CCHSG (NO PLACES LEFT) 2nd Choice WHSG
514 etc etc

What I would like to know is where the last place on the overall list was for entrants to the boys grammar schools - anyone know?

Where did you find out that the last girl at CCHSG was 512th?
very confused

Post by very confused »

I was using your example in your previous post, I've no idea if this is realistic, reading other posts it seems you are given your ranking for every grammar you put down but are only offered your highest if you score above the cut off which varies every year. I bought the CSSE past English ' Mill on the Floss' and daughter thought it tricky, only scoring 74%, it would be very helpful to know how the entrants (as a group) did score so we can see if we're far off the mark - looking back at previous posts its seems we may be as 85% is bandied around quite a lot as the magic figure - again I have no idea if this is the case and this information must be out there somewhere.........

Post by Guest »

very confused wrote:I was using your example in your previous post, I've no idea if this is realistic, reading other posts it seems you are given your ranking for every grammar you put down but are only offered your highest if you score above the cut off which varies every year. I bought the CSSE past English ' Mill on the Floss' and daughter thought it tricky, only scoring 74%, it would be very helpful to know how the entrants (as a group) did score so we can see if we're far off the mark - looking back at previous posts its seems we may be as 85% is bandied around quite a lot as the magic figure - again I have no idea if this is the case and this information must be out there somewhere.........

If she scored 74% on Mill on the Floss I think she did well. My daughter got into CCH this year on a similar English score although she did very well on the VR. The English is well known to be very difficult and I have know girls score a lot less and get into the grammars. The VR is the most important and you do need to score high in that especially for CCH.
very confused

Post by very confused »

Thanks Guest, I thought Mill on the Floss was hard, English is not my strong point and because I had heard that 85% was needed I was worried, so if 70 ish was ok for english what is needed for maths and VR? What VR should we be doing other that the 4 NFER papers. Any ideas would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

Post by Guest »

very confused wrote:Thanks Guest, I thought Mill on the Floss was hard, English is not my strong point and because I had heard that 85% was needed I was worried, so if 70 ish was ok for english what is needed for maths and VR? What VR should we be doing other that the 4 NFER papers. Any ideas would be most welcome, thanks in advance.

I was told by the Consortium that for CCH you need 85%+ on the VR - I don't think you can go lower than this score. If they have tied scored (i.e. same VR scores and same maths scores) they then look at the maths paper and the pupil that has correctly answered the more difficult questions will be placed higher. The NFER VR papers are good and they set the paper on the day so practicing them again and again is good. In terms of the maths and english, try and get hold of the past papers from the Consortium. Concentrate on the timing for the VR - the children must finish that paper to stand a chance.

Post by Guest »

Hi,

Before the government changed the admissions rules a couple of years ago, all children in Essex, boys and girls, were ranked in the same order of merit. Every year 4400 children sat the exam and this varied little. You would be told that your child came 412/4365 etc. and would be offered a school. That was all the information you got. For Chelmsford Country High the initial first pass cut-off used to be about 460. About 20 girls would turn down places and so in the second round of offerings, some 3 months later, the cut-off would move out to 580. Kegs had a final cut-off of around 520, the Colchester Grammars around 700, The Westcliff Schools around 900 and the Southend Schools around 1050 for those out of catchment.

This has changed so that now you get told your Childs position in the order of Merit for each grammar school that they have applied for. Now only 3700 children sit the 11+ exam in Essex, as result of the rules changes.
If your son chose Kegs, CRGS and Westcliff, you get told where they came in relation to the other boys who sat for those schools i.e. Kegs 123/600, CRGS 135/650, Westcliff 90/750.

I agree with the previous poster, you have to be aiming for 85% in the VR and would like to add that you can afford to have one not so great English or Maths paper but not both. A 70% in Maths, 80% in English and 85% VR will get you into all the grammars in Essex I would have thought. My daughter got CCHS with 63% in Maths but did get 88% in the VR.

Hope this helps.
Shrimpergarry

Post by Shrimpergarry »

That's helpful guest - thanks for that. I would assume therefore that the other poster who stated that the last child into CCHSG was 512th was referring to the old system and not to the new one where this information would simply be unavailable?

Post by Guest »

My Daughter got into CCHS this year, she was about 3/4 of the way down the offers. She got 93% in VR and high 70's in English and low 80's in Maths.

Post by Guest »

Does that mean that she was 1/4 above all the youngsters who were below the cut-off point. Which is a substantially higher number than the youngsters above her!!

Well done to her.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now