11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
essex-mum18

LCM & HCF Confirmation please!!

Post by essex-mum18 »

Please find the Lowest common multiple (LCM) of 2, 5, 8

My answer is 40

Please find the highest comon factor (HCF) of 18, 30, 48

My answer is 6

Please confirm the answers are correct or incorrect, if incorrect, why??

Many thanks in advance.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Both correct
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Guest55

Thank you for your prompt reply and confirmation.

My husband and I insist that they are the correct answers but my son' homework book maked them incorrect.

I advised him that he should ask why the answers are wrong on monday.
Thanks again
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Did he write the question down incorrectly?

What are the answers quoted?
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

He looked at the questions from a homework book and work out the answers in the answer book.

I triple checked it and the question was definitely correct.

There were no correct answers given and that is why I don't understand.
Bex mum

Post by Bex mum »

Hi Essex Mum

I spent last night doing LCM and HCF and your son is definitely correct. Has his teacher checked it yet?
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Hi, Bex mum

My son asked the teacher yesterday and confirmed that both answers were correct.

I found out that some homeworks were marked by a fellow student who sits next to him ( answers are given by the teacher). Somehow, the fellow student marked them incorrectly this time.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Sorry if it offends any teachers reading this, but I really, really think it's wrong to allow pupils to mark each other's work.

I know it saves time for the teachers, BUT if something is marked wrong, when it clearly isn't wrong, then that can affect the pupil's confidence, as well as making them question their abilities and methods of doing the work.

Mind you, I once had the teaching assistant mark my daughter's spelling as wrong - she is an excellent speller and queried it with me, where upon I told her she was right and to feel confident in her own abilities as sometimes even adults can get it wrong.

Well done to your son Essex mum!!
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I agree that a child's confidence can be knocked if marked incorrectly, which is what happened to my DS2 recently. He was very upset that he'd missed getting all 20 correct because a peer had marked one incorrectly on a maths test.

That being said, when it come to English, I think it is an excellent exercise. As the children begin to see different types of work and ways of interpreting set story titles. Which helps them gain new ideas for future exercises.
Having observed this in practise, it really can help the child. :D
essex-mum18

Post by essex-mum18 »

Snowdrops

Thanks. I totally agree with you about the wrong marking by another student can affect the confidence of a child. My son is good at Maths and he wondered why the answers were incorrect which he has checked them carefully.

He was initially afraid to ask the teacher in case he would upset her. However, I explained to him that if he asked in a polite way for the correct answers. The teacher will not feel offended by it because she is a nice maths teacher.