Viewing schools.... how is everyone doing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Mum007

Viewing schools.... how is everyone doing?

Post by Mum007 »

We have only visited two schools so far.

We cannot compare them as one was non-selective (with one class for Grammar) which we visited at night for a formal Open Evening and one today which was a Grammar school which we visited during the working day.

Has anyone else visited during the day? I was surprised at the formality of the learning - I didn't see much evidence of lively group discussions, "visual" learning, "hands-on" learning, humour, group work..... my list could go on. I saw teachers at the front of their class talking, writing on the board, even reading from a text book. Is learning / teaching really like this in the 21st century?

Would love to hear your opinions. Thanks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Not in many GS around here - but I realise that is not much help to you!

There should be a variety of activities - did you talk to the pupils taking you round? That is usually the most illuminating!
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

Thanks for your reply, Guest55.

We tried to glean information from our young guide, but it was hard work. He didn't know what I was talking about half the time (e.g. when talking about languages and the sort of learning aids which are used) so I was glad for the opportunity to meet with the Year 7 tutor afterwards. Even he didn't really answer my questions. From my comparison with the prospectus and what he told me he could have answered my questions quite differently!

I would now like to see other schools in action.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

What area are you in?
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

Hi Tracy! The two schools we have visited so far have been in Canterbury.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I'm no good to you then. I have done most of the schools in Bexley, one in Chislehurst and a couple in Dartford. Happy to answer any questions on these ones.
One thing that makes me a bit cross though is the fact that most of the Heads are saying that you have to put their school as choice 1 or 2 on the CAF. There's a lot of porkies being told!!!
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

Yes, that is what we are being told too. I keep having to reread the big book to make sure I have understood how it works correctly.

It's interesting to hear that you have "done" most of the schools. Most of our grammars are holding their days after the results are out which makes sense BUT it doesn't give you enough time to inwardly digest all the pros and cons. If our DS was to be successful we have to visit a school on the Thursday evening and hand the CAF in on Friday! If only they had made Monday the deadline!

Hope you manage to choose the right school. Good luck!
newby11+er

Post by newby11+er »

We will start to visit schools next week, with the grammar school visit being the week the form is due in. Our main problem is getting hold of a prospectus for most of the schools we are interested in! most have said that theirs would not be ready till their open evenings! what chance does that give us to review it and ask questions before the decision date!

In fact some schools have been downright unhelpful when i have rung them. :x The school that was originally going to be my last choice has actually been the most helpful and efficient. makes me wonder!!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I have a daughter in yr8 so I saw quite a few a couple of years ago. I realized very quickly that yr 6 was too late to view schools. So I'm viewing schools for dd2 now while she's in yr5. 8)
Mum007

Post by Mum007 »

Good idea to visit a year early. We were going to but just didn't get round to it because of what was happening at home at the time.

It is difficult getting up to date information, isn't it? I have found some of the prospect... (what is the plural of prospectus....just checking my online dictionary......prospectuses Chambers reckons.....) are not up to date. Some are on-line. Besides, most people want to know GCSE results and the like for last year. Also if there are to be changes e.g. moving to a two year only KS3 to move onto GCSE work sooner.

Interesting to hear about the helpfulness of the schools. I give our "local" non-selective school full marks for trying to impress.

It's a tough old business.

But, hey, I now know the plural of prospectus.....!!