AARG! Wally Boys Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

doolalley

AARG! Wally Boys Test

Post by doolalley »

My son sat the Wally boys test today. It felt like nail biting stuff for me but thankfully he wasn't nervous. He said he found it quite hard to which I replied it would be a pointless test if it was easy. I'm really pleased he did it but judging from his response I don't think he'll get offered a place. We can't afford a tutor so I just did work with him myself. That has probably put him at a disadvantage straight away. He does so well at school but none of the work we have done in the holidays seems to have stuck in his mind. I really want him to go there but what I'm most worried about is if he doesn't pass the exam he might see himself as a bit of a failure. He gets picked on for being clever at school. I want him to be somewhere where the children are of similar ability so that he fits in and isn't singled out by the others.

I guess it's the waiting game now. How did everyone else's son find the test?
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi Doolalley,

My son sat the test on Sat as well and like yourself I was really nervous.

My son said he found it okay but time was a issue for him. He said he knew the questions but found he had run out of time and had to leave afew. Its very hard to judge how well they have done on the basis of what they tell you ( I am talking about my son here).

My son like yours is also very bright but makes the most simple mistakes in his work, which is so annoying and frustrating.

I would focus on the next exam that coming up.

Good luck.
doolalley

Post by doolalley »

Well we got the results through today for Wally boys. Unfortunately my son did not reach the pass mark. He got 297. Never mind. We thought this might be the case as he said he only got half way on the maths paper before the time ran out. Really it was only his maths score that was the problem. To see how well he had done in other areas was really pleasing and so I'm hoping with a bit more practise we'll be able to improve his speed and score. I'm not sure what to say to him about it. I don't want to knock his confidence. I think I might just say we are really pleased with the result and he has been put on the waiting list.

How did everyone else do?
Pusyparent

Wally Boys

Post by Pusyparent »

Thank god my son got a guranteed place at the Wally boys. But i have to put this school as a 1st choice. My son want to go this school as his older brother went there. But our 1st choice is Wilson. How will this effect if i put Wilson as his 1st choice and Wally Boys as 2nd?

We did not send him to any tutor. It was very hard work during School Summer Holidays. It has finally paid off. :lol:
doolalley

Post by doolalley »

Congratulations! Its good to know there is someone else out there who didn't employ a tutor.

The way I understand the system is this. None of the schools know what order you have placed them. If you put Wilsons first and are not accepted then you will still be offered Wallington if it is your second choice.

It took us some time to understand the system. Our worry was that if we put grammar schools as our first three choices and didn't get into one then we might get offered one of the low achieving schools in the area. We have been told that this would not be the case and we would still have just as much chance of getting into our 4th preference school as we would our first.

Hope that makes sense to you! Welldone.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Yes, this is true, the schools may say things and give the impression they will know the order you plan to put on your CAF form, but they don't.

Can I ask pusyparent - did your son pass the test with a high score?? It's just that my friend's son passed the test and assumed she would have a place, but he hadn't passed by a high enough score and went on a waiting list.
I am assuming he did by what you have written.

Congrats on the non-tutor route success - it was quite brave as the pressure to tutor is so strong.
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi Pusyparent

Just to confirm what others have said. It is great that Wallington have said your son has a guaranteed place. He obviously passed the test very well. Last year those who scored more than 345 had letters saying they had got a guaranteed place. I think they offered down to about 335 in the end.

You do not need to put Wallington first on your CAF. The first preference system works in Sutton so if Wilsons if your first choice put it first and put Wallington wherever you want it, you will still be offered it if he doesn't qualify for the others. It is very tempting to put Wallington first when you read the letter, but you really don't need to.

We had a friend who put Wallington 3rd. Didn't pass Sutton or Wilsons which were his first 2 choices and was still offered Wallington in the first round of offers.

The school will not know where you have place them. They word the letter in that way deliberately to try and tempt you to put them first.

Congratulations to you and your son. :D
FedUpDad

Post by FedUpDad »

Doolally, so sorry your son didn't get through.

Pusyparent, what the others say is correct, if you would like your son to go to Wilsons then you must put that as your first choice, and the rest in the order of preference. Providing you get the required mark for Wilsons then you will be offered a place there. If not then you will be offered a place at Wallington if that is your second choice, as you have the required mark.

FedUpDad
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now