15 and 21 question type papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Mike

15 and 21 question type papers

Post by Mike »

Hi

The only papers we are aware of that contain 15 question types are the NFER shop bought papers. All other authors writing for NFER tests focus on 21 question types. However, there is archive material possibly available from the site, that are 15 question type format.

In the preparation process 21 question papers are a good resource because of links that exist between the standard 15 type questions and the additional 6 types.

Using The Tutors catalogue that can be cross referenced with IPS on the Verbal Reasoning pages:

Type 16 Opposite Meaning and Type 21 Same Meaning are vocabulary questions and any questions that help to extend a students vocabulary are good.

Type 17 Complete the Sum can be linked with Type 7 Letters for Numbers because the maths level contained within the questions are of a similar level.

Type 20 Complete the Word can be linked with Type 13 Make a Word.

This leaves Type 18 Related Numbers and Type 19 Word Number Codes significantly different to any of the standard 15 types.

Type 18 are good for developing mental arithmetic skills.

Type 19 are good for developing reasoning and logic skills and require the student to work in a methodical way. The skills attained with Type 19 questions can be transferred to the other coding questions.

Hope this is of some help to parents who may be anxious preparing children for 15 question type tests with 21 question type material.

Regards

Mike

Mike is co-author of The Tutors publications
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Orson

Post by Orson »

There is a publication that focuses on just the 15 types only. :D

It provides practice exercises, some of which are timed, but isn't strictly a book of test papers.

We picked up a flyer from Ribston Hall last week (when taking our daughter round) which recommends it. We have since purchased a copy and it does seem very good (and relevant).

PM me for details if you're interested (as I guess telling you more may be advertising).

Orson
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Orson

Can you PM me with details. We may be able to get elevenplus exams to keep a stock.

Patricia
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

Hi Patricia and Orson.

I also picked up that flyer when looking round Ribston Hall. I went online to attemp to order those practise papers but I think they are the same 4 Nfer tests 11a etc.
It is very muddling as the isbn numbers are different by 1 digit but they looked similar - so I rang the publishers and they said they are the same 4 tests just republished under a different isbn number :?

If you have the other tests Orson, would you be kind enough to compare them for me Orson. Don't want to all get the same thing twice!

Thanks
Bring me sunshine ....
Jen'smum

Post by Jen'smum »

Sorry Orson

Have just reread your message and it says they aren't test papers so maybe they aren't the same thing. Even the publishers deny all knowledge and say they are! Would you please be kind enough to pm me the details as printed on the back too please as getting no joy with smiths over the phone with the details from the flyer!

Cheers!
Bring me sunshine ....
Mike

Post by Mike »

Hi

The NFER papers were originally published in 1996/97 and since their launch have been sold under a number of different names e.g. GO-Practice Cornflower Blue and recently Letts. As Granada Publishing no longer have a connection with NFER it would have been expected that they release papers under the new GL (Granada Learning) Publishing banner.

Regards

Mike
Mike Edwards is a co-author of The Tutors product range.
staycalm

15 and 21 type papers

Post by staycalm »

I thought I'd pick up this thread now all the tests have been sat.

Asked my daughter if she remembered some of the question types that had come up and was surprised when she mentioned a couple, the word-number codes (4 number codes, 3 words, break the code), and opposite words.

She bizarrely loved practising word-number codes but I'd told her they were unlikely to come up in the real test, they were just in our Walsh and Bright Sparks practice material.

I may be quite wrong, but aren't these usually only found in the 21 type papers?
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

staycalm,

Is Gloucestershire only meant to have 15 types?
capers123

Post by capers123 »

JaysDarlin wrote:staycalm,

Is Gloucestershire only meant to have 15 types?
Yes.

Well, that has been the case for the last few years.

There has been. for the last 3 or 4 years, a persistent rumour that 'next year' the type of paper will change. It certainly was being looked into by Shire Hall & the Grammar Schools (this was disclosed in a chat with an admissions person at one of the schools), but so far it's not changed. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as if your children are bright enough, they'll cope with any questions. And if we all found out at the Open Evening, we'd all be in the same boat.
Capers
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now