Timing of appeals

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Louise

Timing of appeals

Post by Louise »

Does anyone know if appeals can be made on 11 plus score before 1st march. I spoke to head of local grammar school and he says you can only appeal from 1st of March and then we only stand a chance if school is undersubscribed. I assume first of March is when children are allocated their schools.

Thanks

Post by Guest »

Which area are you in Louise?

Post by Guest »

For people in Lincolnshire this is a really interesting question. In previous years all appeals inevitably happened after allocation as the results were only known such a short time before. Now that results are known many months before allocation perhaps the system should be changed to allow the appeal against failure to reach the required standard to happen earlier on. Would be interesting to know whether the grammar schools have actually considered this issue or not.

Sara
Louise

appeal timings

Post by Louise »

Hi,

I'm in Lincolnshire, near grantham and unfortunately appeals are not going to heard until places have been allocated in March. I'd be interested to know if there was a dip in pass rates this year, as a non-verbal paper was introduced for the first time. It does seem to have affected our school.
angelz

Post by angelz »

Hi Louise,

If the school you are refering to is the King's then I think the amount who have acheived the qualifying score has dropped dramatically. The school have said that any child acheiving qualifying standard in area are highly recomended to put the school as first choice. Sara has also been told that out of area places are in the region of 30. This has not been the case in previous years. My nephew passed with a score of 222 a few years ago and did not receive a place even though he was in catchment.

Many primary schools have also experienced a 'surprise' drop in the amount of children not making the pass mark.

angelz
Louise

Appeals

Post by Louise »

Hi Angelz

Well, the first piece of encouraging news I've had. I was talking about King's but I've been on the phone to them today and they are very cautiously saying not to mess up our chances of getting into another school by placing them as first preference. Our second choice anyway does not use preferential ranking so I think I'm still going to put King's first.

I coached my son and when i found out in April that I would have to do non-verbal as well verbal my heart sank. i am convinced he would have passed had we just been able to concentrate on verbal. That's very interesting news. let me know if you hear anymore!

Thanks so much - but I'm not getting my hopes up, there is a long battle ahead.
Louise

appeals

Post by Louise »

Hi Angelz

Me again - just a query about what you said earlier. What did you mean by ' out of area places are in the region of 30'. Has this got something to do with catchment area. May Kings widen their catchment area if results have dropped? Is this allowed?

Many thanks

Post by Guest »

Hi Louise,

King's have a "defined" area (the towns and villages within it are listed in the prospectus) and applicants who have passed the 11plus within this area will be given places first, in rank order of their scores. If the school's places are not filled by these "in area" applicants then any left over places are offered to candidates who have passed who live within 25 miles of the school, again in rank order of their scores. Thus, applicants within area will take precedence. If loads of people pass within area you may not get in even if you have passed as happened with Angelz' nephew, but if the places are not filled then "out of area" (but within 25 miles) get the left over places.

Check with the school what the actual numbers are. I was a bit flustered when I spoke to the head on the phone and I did not take in all he said properly so the 30 figure might not be accurate. What is clear, however, is that the places will not be filled with "in area" candidates. So you need to know how many "out of area" candidates passed. I am sure the school will give you this figure if you ask. Also not all the children who passed in area will take up places - there is an overlap with Carre's in Sleaford so some might have registered with both schools and decide on Carre's and others may choose comp or private. My son passed from out of area but will probably put King's 3rd choice so is unlikely to end up taking a place (distance is the factor here).

All in all, from the information so far available, it would seem that "borderline" fails might stand a pretty good chance on appeal in some areas, like Grantham - I imagine that the school will not wish to leave too many places unfilled and might look favourably especially on candidates who might have passed under the previous system of VR only??

Don't know if Angelz has any more firm info on figures.

I do feel that now 11 plus results are out so early there is a case to be made for hearing appeals against failure to meet the required standard earlier than 1st March and it may be worth taking this issue up with the admissions department at the Council - where they lead I imagine the foundation schools will follow.

Wish you all the very best

Sara
Louise

appeals

Post by Louise »

Hi Sara

Thanks for all your info. Pity we don't have the same procedure as is carried out in Bucks - appeals are done and dusted before places are allocated - everyone is in the same boat. King's allocate places in ranking order, don't they, so i really feel my son will be at the bottom of the pile - but I'm still appealing!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

When the 1st March national allocation day was introduced, Bucks to their credit brought everything forward (a major task, because they have around 900 11+ appeals to cope with!). 11+ results are issued late November, appeals are submitted during the first half of December, and hearings take place January/February.

On the whole it's worked very well, and successful timely appellants have been included in the first round of grammar school allocations.

Disadvantages?
1. The internal review of borderline and other cases had to be abolished because there wasn't time.
2. Some parents of children who had qualified immediately felt a bit aggrieved that they didn't have priority over those qualifying via appeal. (In my view if you're qualified, you're qualified!)
3. Some parents have found it difficult to focus on submitting an appeal at such a busy time of year (end of term/lead-up to Christmas).
Etienne