Wally Boys VR Test this year

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tomtom

Wally Boys VR Test this year

Post by tomtom »

My son sat the Wally Boys test this year. He found it OK but said that the one area he thought was quite hard was the verbal reasoning, he said he did not 'get' some of the questions. This kind of surprised us because he's normally best at this (its the one area we did not really bother working on as he seemed to do well on the rare occasion we gave him one of the papers).

Did anyone else get similar feedback from their sons? We were wondering what these questions were.

Our son passed the Wally exam but it looks like he will end up on the waiting list. We are thinking about Sutton boys and Wilsons - are these likely to be harder to pass than Wallingtons, are there people out there whose boys passed Sutton/Wilsons last year but failed Wally boys?

Thanks
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi
Welcome to the forum.
Different children feel different things about the exams. Mine found the Wallington exam the easiest, although was probably the least prepared for it, so may have actually done better in the other two.
We know people who failed the other 2 and only passed Wallington, failed the other 2 and only passed Sutton and failed the other 2 and only passed Wilsons so don't read too much into any one result-it all depends on the format of the paper and how they do on the day! It is easy to stuff up one section of the paper-my son completely misinterpreted the essay at the Wallington exam.
You should take heart from his results so far. He has done well enough to pass the exam and that is good. He has at least 6 weeks before the next one so plenty of time to brush up on technique.
Remember to put the schools in the order you really want them on the CAF. Just because he would have been on the waiting list with his results last year does not mean that is the case this year, he would have had a place in any other year.
I am sure that last year far more people put Wallington first than usual as they felt they had to to "secure" the place and it may well be that this year more people will have the confidence to put the school they really want first.
Remember he has passed which at least puts him there or thereabouts and he has plenty of time left and will be more confident in the next exam as has done it all before-we got quite relaxed heading off to exams by January last year :D
tomtom

Post by tomtom »

Dear Surreymum

Thank you for your comments. It is reassuring but we are still worried about coming exams, still my son seems to determine to do better next ones. We reckon that it was a bad luck.

In fact, his brother sat for 11+ two years ago. The system was different and there were 1000 boys sat for the exams for Wallys. We have heard that there were more than 1400 this year!
He passed it and he currently goes there. My second was a bit upset about it as he may not be able to go to the school with his brother.

You are right, he as least passed it and there may be still chance to get in there. I suppose we will just keep working!

Tks very much.
melinda

Post by melinda »

Hi tomtom, yes, my son failed Wally test (below pass mark by three marks) but passed sutton.
He found the Wally test hard, especially the maths, but then he has always found english easier. I also think it came just too soon for my son, too close to summer hols and he just wasn't ready.

I also knew someone whose son passed Wally, but not by huge amount and after a few weeks on the waiting list she eventually got a call that he was in. Mind you, it seems worthwhile making sure the admissions sec knows your name fairly well!!

good luck.
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

HI,

My son has missed by few marks. He did bad in maths but well in the verbal reasoning and English. I am intriqued to find out what questions they were in maths. I know of four boys in his school who didn't pass and one on the waiting list.
Giulio

Post by Giulio »

Hi Jasmine,

wcgs have a mock paper that you can request for five pounds. The maths questions are not unlike bond papers, but with no choices.
I remember a multiplication and a division with numbers with 2 decimals (that my son struggles with), plus on some questions you get a mark for showing your working.

My son is on the waiting list, 440th :(
could I ask what are the raw scores and the ranking of you son? apologies if too personal

Giulio
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi Jasmine

Sorry to hear your news. It is the beauty of the long drawn out testing in Sutton that you do get another 2 goes at it with a different exam format :P

If he's only missed by a few marks he may do better when not so nervous another time.
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi Surreymum,

Thanks, I am disappointed alittle but it may help him to see his shortfalls.

I am worried now with his maths as I feel he may struggle with Sutton G

paper being harder than Walli and not much time left. He's not really

bothered about not getting into Walli and wants to really try for Sutton.

But I don't know how realistic his chances are; I haven't said anything

to him, staying positive for him and told him to try his best!

:roll:
melinda

Post by melinda »

Hi Jasmine, just to say I was in the exact same position as you last year - my son wanted Sutton, found Wally hard and just failed, but then he passed Sutton in the end - so there is always hope!!!
He told me he tried harder for Sutton so your son may feel the same - that little bit of extra incentive will bring out the best in him perhaps. Plus he has extra time to get prepared for it.

Also, you are right not to mention the Wally results as it can lead to disappointment and loss of confidence.

anyway, speech over - !! good luck... :)
JASMINE

Post by JASMINE »

Hi Melinda,

You have just made me feel hundred times better. Thanks :D

I really appreciate your words of wisdom, your right of course!

(You would make a great guru boosting peoples confidence)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now