How much homework at TOGS??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

WesterhamMum

How much homework at TOGS??

Post by WesterhamMum »

Does anyone know how much homework the Year 7 children get at TOGS? We went to see Newstead Woods at the weekend and were told by numerous children that they regularly spend between 2 and 3 hours each night doing homework (3 – 4 subjects).

My daughter currently gets about an hour each night and I already think that is too much on top of a full day at school. It has really put me off the school and I was wondering if anyone has any experience of the homework given at TOGS because I think I forgot to ask when looking around.

I am really hoping that this amount of homework is not fairly standard for a ‘super selective’!
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Well, if my daughter was getting 2-3 hours a night last year at TGS she hid it well! It probably averaged at most an hour; sometimes more, sometimes nothing. That said, some of the work is quite open-ended so if you have a perfectionist, or a child who just doesn't know when to stop, I imagine that it could take longer.
shuff

Post by shuff »

My daughter is in year 10 at TGS, when she started I was surprised at how little homework she was given in yr 7 I was expecting much more. So answering your question, very manageable!
nkm

Post by nkm »

I posted in a different area about homework. Daughter now in year 8 at tgs. As posted above if she has hours of homework she hides it well! Very manageable, completely without stress. would suggest that 2-3hrs a week is max at the moment. Actually daughter in yr 5 has more!Daughter at tgs very happy.
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Thank you for your replies. I am now certain we have made the right choice for our DD. I want her to have a life outside school as well and I think with 2 or 3 hours homework each night this would be difficult, so TGS will now be our first choice.
West Kent

Togs Homework

Post by West Kent »

I will agree with what has just been said. I have two daughters at TOGS and they most certainly do not get 2-3hrs work per night.

Not enough in my opinion. They have so-called homework timetables which details out the days on which the various homework can be set for a particular subject. The majority of teachers stick to it and those that try to set homework for a particular subject on an unscheduled day get met with alot of resistance from the girls and eventully back down.

My daughters come home laughing pleased with yet another sense of achievment of getting one over another teacher. On such days they provide all the entertainment around the supper table.

They love it there though!!!!!!!!!!! (too much fun)
WesterhamMum

Post by WesterhamMum »

Hi West Kent

Thanks for that. We went back to TGS this evening as my husband had not seen it. My eldest daughter (year 6) and I loved the school even more this time as did my husband and my youngest daughter who is currently in Year 5. The few girls I asked seemed to confirm your comments about homework so that put my mind at rest.

Fingers crossed now for the results as we are just out of area so will need to score very highly.
West Kent

Post by West Kent »

Good luck Westerham mum. We were out of are too so I know how you feel.
Out-of-area

Post by Out-of-area »

Read the posts on this subject with interest. DD now in year 8 at TOGS but was overwhelmed with homework for the first two terms of year 7. She would get two or three subjects a night and would be spending hours working at the weekend catching up. Other mums said their daughters were finding it very hard too. Seems not everybody had the same experience!! Year 8 so far seems be much lighter on homework. Long may it continue.
toonbridgedad

Post by toonbridgedad »

I also have a DD in year 8 at TGS and have been amazed at how little time her homework takes (when she is organised). Extra-curricular activities have meant a couple of late night tearful moments as she is conscientious enough to want to do it, and hand it in, but on occasions she has not managed her time well (yes, I should have helped her!).

I have had a similar experience with DS at Judd but as GCSE's approach they are racking it up!! I would imagine TGS is similar.

If your DD is good enough to achieve TGS marks in the 11+ she will not struggle with the amount of homework as she settles in to TGS. For what it's worth I also happen to think the school offers a fantastic educational experience and my DS seems very happy.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now