Careless Errors

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

silverflora

Careless Errors

Post by silverflora »

DD is driving me mad at the moment as she is making more and more careless errors everytime she attempts a paper.

Others see their children improving - my DD's marks are going down each week even though I know she is perfectly capable of doing VR! She finishes the paper really early, usually with at least 15 minutes to spare and all my pleas that she takes longer and concentrates more are proving fruitless.

Has anyone ANY suggestions as to how I can motivate her sufficiently to take that extra bit of care? She seems to be taking a very blase approach to all of this - unlike her mother who has aged 20 years in the last month!

Thanks
Silverflora
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

Bribery?? :wink: :wink:

If it is definitely errors from lack of care then perhaps the promise of a treat at the end for a good score might concentrate the mind a little more!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Going with a friends policy on boyfriends.

"treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen"

If it was me and my child was scoring high enough and confident then I would not do anything for a week and then give them a really hard paper -unless she has already done all the hard ones? Getting a much lower score will raise her game plan if she is suffering from over-confidence i.e blase attitude ditto careless mistakes.

Obviously not recomended for those struggling to get a decent score who need a confidence boost :!:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

What about marking it (but not with the marks on the paper) then giving it back and saying - right there are X mistakes to find and if you use your remaining time to find Half of them I'll give you 'a reward' (whatever will motivate)?
Worth a try I think -
Rose petal

Post by Rose petal »

My DD gets 1p for each answer correct and an extra 10p if she scores 75%, extra 25p if the score is over 85% and an extra 50p if she gets 95% or more. She can then spend the money when she has banked enough for what she wants. It also means that if more papers are completed more money is earned. I do this on all papers regardless of the number of questions.

This means if there are 50 questions and she gets 96% (48 correct) she will earn 98p (48p plus 50p). If she gets say 35/50 ie 70% the reward will only be 35p. So finding the silly mistakes brings rewards.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Rose Petal, this is a gem. I'll think I'll try this.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Yes Rose Petal, this is a super idea - I have started this as from today! :D
silverflora

Thank you for the great ideas!

Post by silverflora »

Its pretty near D Day, but I will still try out your ideas - thank you very much for them!

I have had a very frustrating couple of weeks as my broadband connection hasn't been working, and I couldn't access this website. What a nightmare! Seems to be all right at the momemt so I'm keeping my fingers crossed it will last until 8th November.

Thanks
Silverflora
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

I tried 5p per correct answer and she got 12/12. I'll be in debt at this rate!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now