extra time in Bucks

Advice on Special Needs and the 11 Plus Exams

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
drummer

extra time in Bucks

Post by drummer »

My child has just been 'awarded' 5 mins extra time in each of his tests (which were delayed pending the outcome of this request).

I think he was given the 5 mins just to shut me up as a parent. To cut a long story short his application for extra time was mishandled, I wrote a rather forthright letter about it and I think they thought they'd better give some token or I might become difficult.

Could I ask how much time have you been given in Bucks (or not as the case may be) and with what evidence?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

That's 10% extra - I have not heard of much more than that being awarded.

Typical evidence would be a Ed Psych's report which might recommend 25% in KS tests but I've never know more than 10 to 15% given in the 11+.
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Dear Drummer
My DS got 10 minutes extra 2 years ago on the basis of Ed psych recommendation in his Statement, i.e. 20%.

For KS2 Sats I think he got 25% extra; sorry I just can't quite remember about the SATS.

The amount of extra time allowed was based on the recommendations in his statement which are quite sepcific (thanks to a very thorough LEA ed psych). I think it depends on the severity of disability and likely impact in a test taking situation. I don't know any children who have been allowed extra time who are not statemented.

Like you, our application was made very late by the school and although DS took the test at the normal time we only heard the night before what allowance for extra time had been agreed. We were also told that he couldn't take until the LEA had made their decision so until the day before we were saying to him you may be taking it tomorrow you may not.

It is very difficult when you are left feeling like you have to fight the system and it all gets to the last minute but well done for getting the allowance you have.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I do know of non-statemented children being given extra time.
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Yes sorry I dind't make that clear - I do know it is possible to get extra time without a statement but the only two that I know in detail (my DS and one other) both have statements - they both had 20% extra time in 11+.
What I meant was that I don't know how much extra time others have been given or what the range of extra time is.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now