Grand Theft Auto

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rugbymum

Grand Theft Auto

Post by Rugbymum »

I am having a "debate" with my 10 years old son about this game - he wants to buy this for his PSP and we have refused to let him because it has an 18 certificate. Quite a few of his friends have already got this - does anyone think I am being too strict? :?
kosar.irshad

Post by kosar.irshad »

hi rugbymum I do not think you are over reacting at all. I have two sons 11 and 9 and there is no way I would buy that game or indeed any that are graded 12+. It is a real shame that these limits are not adhered to, they are there for a reason.
zorro

Post by zorro »

No, I agree with you 100%.
I too have had this argument with my 11 yr old. This is a very violent anti-social game glorifying crime and I refuse to let my child have it just because his friends do. Personally I would query his friend's parent's morals if they allow their children to play these games.
Stick to your beliefs!!
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

I would not allow my children to play this game or any 18 or 15 rated... if 15 exists for games???? The age restriction is there for a reason.
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

Thanks for the replies - what really surprised me is that the friends who have this game are sensible well behaved boys from gsupposedly good families :? .
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

I've seen this game played and no way would I allow my son to play it. He's not having it even when he is 18.

The character you become in this game murders, steals and picks up 'ladies of the night' and you can even see the car rocking :shock: To 'earn' money for anything in the game the character beats up or murders passersby and money pops up, or they just steal anything they want. It certainly isn't suitable for a 11/12 year old!
tense

Post by tense »

My son is 8 & many of his classmates have (or have access to) this game & others of a similar nature. Can't imagine why their otherwise "normal" seeming parents allow it.

You aer certainly not being too strict. Others are simply far too lax :roll:
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Can I just say too that my husband bought this game (recommended from the shop) and after playing it once or twice, just couldn't bring himself to continue to play it any further and returned it to the shop.
In his opinion he thought it was sick!! And he's 37!! So No definitely to under 18s I would say... :)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

:oops:
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Feel exactly the same... a friend bought this for my eldest son for Christmas a couple of years ago - it got put on the computer ready for DS and DH to play it and was swiftly removed by DH a few minutes later who was appalled. It is banned in our house.
I was very surprised as DH is pretty laid back about most things like that but he said he found the whole thing hideous and degrading.