What to do and when...

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

What to do and when...

Post by Ed's mum »

Got a confession - despite DS getting through the 11+ recently and gaining a place at a school we wanted him to go to, it was a little bit of a fluke really...he wasn't exactly keen to do much practise!!

Now we have a daughter who is about to enter year 5 and I feel more nervous about this as we have more to lose and she is already worrying that she may not be as 'successful' as Ed.

She is every bit as clever and a highly motivated child but doesn't quite have the self confidence of her brother or the risk-taking nature. I would describe her as steady and safe, really. A nose to the grindstone type child.

I am seeking advice from others, especially those going through the process this year, about the order in which I should approach her preparation for the 11+.

We have not made any start at all yet. She has a reading age of 14+ and a good vocabulary. She is reading classics at the moment like Little Women, Treasure Island, What Katy Did, The Little Princess etc. She is a level 4 in literacy ( not given sub level but assuming near 4a as was a 4 last year as well ) and a 4a in maths.

I will do her tutoring as we have a close relationship and she seems keen to work with me.

Any advice appreciated please...I know I've just been through it but it really was haphazard and unplanned!!! Also, the tests have now changed...

Thanks in advance. x

Maybe I need to change my name now!!
Milly's Mum (!!)
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I thought I might try again now that some Warks parents have actually had their child sit the exam.

Obviously we must not discuss what came up on the papers.

Does anyone have any advice on what type of preparation I should be doing with my year 5 daughter? Is there a particular set of practise papers which are most suitable?

Any help/advice extremely gratefully received...
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Corv,

I'm hoping that once the 'purdah' is over, ie once the reserve test day has passed, everyone will creep out of the woodwork & post reams about this years exams!

I'm not sure how much this will help though as the test is supposed to be tutor proof and, as I understand it, they change the format each year.

For what it's worth, I have heard playground gossip to the effect that it was like nothing they'd been practising, either at home or with tutors; That time was a huge issue and that quite a few children found the whole experience stressful and distressing.

Looking forward to next year then... :roll:

Char x
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks Char!
This is the wrong way round!!! Tutor proof would have been great for Ed as he did not want tutoring of any kind from anyone!!
My dear, gentle, hard-working daughter on the other hand...we could spend time together and both enjoy it!!
Ho hum...
I am sure we can amuse ourselves doing something. Keep the grey matter working!!
LucyLou's Mum

First posting

Post by LucyLou's Mum »

Hi

I have been visiting this site for months and found it very informative and thought that now might be the time to join in advance of next weeks analysis. My DD started preparing for the 11+ last February, a bit late according to the tutor we attended once a fortnight. But soon DD was brought up to speed and was on the same footing as the other tutees our tutor taught. The option of a Grammar school education is something we have entered into without pressure, thought we'd give it a go, as I feel that DD will succeed whatever school she attends, providing she is not led astray by her peers. The tutoring fees, I have seen as money well spent as her maths have improved enormously and this has been commented on by her teachers. DD found the exam ok, she ran out of time, had to guess answers and did miss some out. And a lot of the methods the tutor taught didn't come up but this doesn't phase me, as to repeat a previous posting I hope this test will bring out natural ability rather than nutured ability, because surely we don't want our children in an environment that they are not academically equipped for.
LucyLou's Mum

Hi again

Post by LucyLou's Mum »

I hope my first posting didn't come across as pompus (it seemed a bit that way as i read it back!) My DD attends a small state village primary school, we have a younger child who is on first action plus (language delay) and we are feeling the credit crunch!! So pompous i am definitely not. Just have a DD who I consider to be quite able.
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Hello & welcome LL'sMum! Great to have some new blood in Warks.

You didn't sound pompous at all (well, not compared wth me anyway!) and I'm sure we'll all find your input valuable.

Thanks and good luck to your DD & DS!

Charlotte
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Welcome LLM!!
No, compared with Charlotte, you are the antithesis of pompous...
:mrgreen:
LucyLou's Mum

Post by LucyLou's Mum »

Thank you both that is good to hear.

Will log in tomorrow to see what is new. (It's becoming a bit obsessive now!)
Rugbymum

Post by Rugbymum »

I think the supplementary tests are being held on the 21st - when these are over, I will be able to tell you my thoughts on what your daughter need to cover :wink: