Kent College - Pembury, Nr. Tun Wells

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Janedingdong

Kent College - Pembury, Nr. Tun Wells

Post by Janedingdong »

Has anybody got any experience of this school?

It seemed quite impressive when we looked round recently.

Apparently all children are entered for a scholarship when they take the 11+ entrance exam.

Has anybody had any experience of this? If so, how much scholarship did they get offered?

There are also some bursaries offered but not sure how generous these might be? Again, anybody gone down this route?
Warks mum

Post by Warks mum »

Sorry - I haven't got any personal experience of this school recently, I only remember that Sophie, Countess of Wessex went there in her youth!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

from 2004 reportt:

At the time of the inspection the annual value of scholarships, bursaries and other fee reductions was a little over £430,000, assisting 153 girls.

... 4 years ago getting an average of 2,800 each
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

I might be wrong, but I think the senior section of this school is a bit like Combe Bank School for Girls. The majority of girls who go there would probably not pass the Kent 11+, but they do get better than expected results while they are there as it is a bit like a crammer in the approach to teaching for GCSE and A' level - extremely thorough and nothing but the syllabus. The majority stay "younger" while they are there too.

It depends what you are looking for, and what your daughter is like, but I personally would, given the choice, go for a senior school with a higher number of pupils and a broader curriculum.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Perplexed, what do you mean by "its a bit of a crammer"? Just because a school does not take as bright a cohort as GS does not mean it crams because it gets better results, but more likely that its teaching is excellent.
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Havent got much up to date info other than they are more selective than they used to be!! In my day (yep, i went there in the late 80's) they more or less took anyone who could pay!
I was really happy there - the grounds and new facilities are great, i know the main ethos of the school has remained the same.
It is a Methodist based school but this is in no way 'rammed' at the girls. I often found it quite comforting actually!
There are staff on the staff list i recognise (is that a good thing?!) and the few times i have been back i have still got that 'happy' feeling.
Put it this way, if i had the money (oh, and had girls...!) i would send my children.
Know this is no help academically - sorry :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now