Ideas for a stall my son can run...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Ed's mum

Ideas for a stall my son can run...

Post by Ed's mum »

In a few weeks, as a school event, my son's class have to run stalls that will make money for charity.

His idea was a 'guess which car?' type game based on the participant correctly guessing the make and model of pictures of cars. His friend pointed out that he thought it wouldn't make much money.

I have thought of 'name the ???' (could be a teddy bear), or 'guess the number of sweets/marbles/??? in a jar'.

The charity afternoon will have a complete cross section of the community there, not just school children.

If you have any bright ideas please feel free to comment.

T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Yawn...you are SOOOOOOOOO dull Ed's Mum! :wink:

I actually like his idea as dads get so bored at these fairs as there's nothing for them to do. Maybe he could make a big banner and call it Dad Friendly Stall? :P Maybe he could make it more tricky by only having a section of the car shown instead of the whole thing. He could have a big poster of 70 small pics of cars and the person who names the most wins a prize. They would have to buy an answer sheet to write their answers on, 50p for kids, £1 for adults. Its maybe not destined to make loads of money but its good to be different. :)
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Difficult to do on his own I think ..... unless it is something like guess the whatever as this can be all sorted out before hand and names / numbers etc listed.
Guess the weight of the cake always goes down quite well.... plenty of cooks fancy their chances... :wink:

Herman

PS wicked thoughts - how about guess the weight of one of the teachers or HM ... must be someone who is not too shy!

PPS even worse guess the closing price of the FTSE on monday ... :shock:
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Presumably they already have a cake/home made fudge stall-always do so well with the kids.......

Donated prizes raffle tickets and all numbers ending in a zero win a prize-bit of a hassle labelling up the prizes, but relatively easy once its done?

Sweets in the jar probably better than marbles as they can win the jar of sweets.

Could ask all class mates to bring in a decorated jar of sweets and sell them.

Penalty shoot out competition-5 shots on goal and if get three in get a small prize-always very popular with the boys

Large map divided up into squares, one has hidden treasure. People pay to name the square to win the treasure.

Sorry rather unhealthy theme to my suggestions.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Hey Tips! Thanks for that (apart from the initial comment!!). Maybe it's not such a poor idea when you do it as you suggested.

Thanks Hermammunster, some great ideas there.

There more suggestions I get, the better for Ed I feel. It seems to be quite a competitive event and I want to try to support him.
Even though as soon as I suggest something he rolls his eyes...
Silver29

Post by Silver29 »

Hi Ed's Mum

Your post made me smile because my 10 year old son is car obsessed! He would be at your son's stall all afternoon. He is like a walking car mastermind.
Anyway, my idea would be to adapt the old fashioned game of shove-a -penny into push-a-car. He could make a large grid & mark out the winning squares (he could even use pictures of cars for this, ie if you land on a ferrari you win 10p etc) Use matchbox cars as the play pieces.
Hope you get the general drift.

Let me know if your son likes it!

Good Luck :lol:
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Thanks Surreymum, I didn't realise that you had also posted suggestions. Super ideas!
Silver29. A-ha! A mother of a fellow obsessive!!! He has even started to talk like Jeremy Clarkson! I really like your take on shove a penny. How do people know where to place their car/penny? Never played the game...

I cannot wait to show Ed all of these fantastic ideas!!
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Tipsy wrote:
Maybe he could make it more tricky by only having a section of the car shown instead of the whole thing. He could have a big poster of 70 small pics of cars and the person who names the most wins a prize.
This one is an excellent idea :D My son would stay at this stall, and pay for every turn, until he'd got them all right.

Ed would have to find a really unusual/unknown model or find pics of the interior taken at odd angles? to make it really hard as most boys I know can recognise cars from wheel trims or headlights etc.

Silver29 wrote:
Anyway, my idea would be to adapt the old fashioned game of shove-a -penny into push-a-car. He could make a large grid & mark out the winning squares (he could even use pictures of cars for this, ie if you land on a ferrari you win 10p etc) Use matchbox cars as the play pieces.
Also excellent!,
In fact I'm going to make this myself :D This would make a fortune !
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Best one I saw last year was a small cabinet (glass front) with a £5 on view. Children had to choose from an enormous ring full of keys. Correct key gave you access to the loot. It was very popular! Could be adapted in any number of ways.
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Am loving all the ideas guys!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now