Bright Children Expected To Help Less Able Ones?

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jessmum

Bright Children Expected To Help Less Able Ones?

Post by jessmum »

Hi All

My DD is in Yr4 and Ive been told, is one of the brighter ones in her class. Its a smallish class with a handfull of Yr5s that have been held back because they are underperforming.

DD has been moved to a table with 2 of the children who are really struggling - both boys who have no interest in learning. She has made a kind of bond with one of them and is enjoying helping him out - he is one of the school "tough guys" LOL, and was even given the honour of being allowed to join in with one of his lunchtime football matches. :wink:

Anyway, the problem is the other boy. He is constantly disruptive and DD came out today upset because he had been flicking something nasty at her and the boy she is helping (I wont go into details but it involves noses :roll: ). This is one of just many instances where this lad has stopped my DD and her friend working.

Its parent teacher night this week and its an issue I want to raise with the teacher. My DD does enjoy helping out one of the boys and although Im a bit wary that her work might suffer whilst she helps haul this lad up to a reasonable SATS level, Im also aware that it can be very good for both pupils concerned - building confidence in both. My main problem is the other boy - I feel like they shouldnt have two "problem" children on one table and expect my DD to be referee.

Do you think its unreasonable to ask that he be moved? Anyone else encountered this sort of thing before?
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Sorry to hear your DD has to deal with such an unpleasant situation. Similar things with bothersome or disruptive children have had a positive outcome, when parents of children where similar things have happened to them, have asked that their child be moved.

Teachers will normally know exactly what children in their charge are like, and understand your reasoning behind the request when you give them a few examples of situations that have distressed your DD. Unfortunately it may result in her also being separated from the child she has befriended.

Good Luck

BW
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

actually teh brighter child can benefit from that sort of pairing, having to explain something can reinforce it , and questioning helps draw out more muddled bits.

have a word with the teacher about the more dispruptive child though, it seems a pity if the friendship is spoilt, perhaps he feels a bit left out.
Hope

Post by Hope »

My daughter helped another child last year, a little different as the other child had special needs. I spoke to the teacher on a couple of occasions as I felt they were using my very laid back, helpful daughter to keep the other child busy so as not to disrupt the whole class. The teacher was reseptive of my comments and did keep an eye on the situation. My dd loved the responsibility and it gave her a huge amout of confidence and consideration for others and like yoyo said really helped her reinforce some of the work she was going over. The other side of the coin is 'did she loose out on her own learning' I think at times she probably did, but she gained so much out of this pairing.

Definately speak to the teacher, maybe they can move the other boy that is causing the disruption.

Your dd must be doing something right to be asked to play football 8) 8)
jessmum

Post by jessmum »

Thanks all.

Had parent teacher consultation and I did bring this up. Not much feedback other than "disruptive boy" isnt the worst in the class??!!! Teacher then quickly changed subject to my DDs performance in class (very good, and has already started level 4 work in Literacy and Maths which Im very proud of her for!).

Will continue to monitor the situation and will press the issue further if DD continues to report disturbances. Maybe the fact Ive bought it up will at least highlight there is a problem and she'll keep more of an eye on the boy concerned. I'll tell my DD to try an include this lad a bit more if she can - although not so much that she spends her whole day sorting out these boys!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now