1 mark short

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nicola

1 mark short

Post by nicola »

my daughter failed by 1 mark for KGGS in Grantham. When excatly do I need to appeal? Do I have to wait until March? Is i true that if the school is undersubcribed that she could automatically be offered a place without appeal?I am also worried if it goes to appeal the exam results taken earlier in the were not as good as they should have been and this may just go against her in the appeal. She's not been well all year and i have kept all the hospital letters towards this appeal. What are the chances of appeal - what percentage normally suceed in gaining a place?
sallyj

Post by sallyj »

So sorry to hear your bad news. We received the same,though ours was two marks-one on each test !
After a lot of soul searching we have decided we would be doing our son a dis-service if we don't appeal. That 'what if' would be forever with us.
We have received some amazing help from the contributors to this site for which we will be eternally grateful. Without thier help we wouldn't have known where to start. I have no doubt you will find all the help you need too.
I wish you & your daughter every bit of good luck in your appeal, I truly hope the outcome is a fab one.xx
Alex

Post by Alex »

Hi Nicola and welcome,

I believe KGGS did not manage to hold its "Headteachers' Appeals" this year, when people like your daughter with a very near miss would have been considered - but do check with the school to make sure.

You cannot make a statutory appeal until after allocations on 2nd March when you are officially refused the school place. You should still put the school down on your application form.

No, even if the school is undersubscribed it cannot offer places to near misses without an appeal process as there is a set county-wide pass mark. However, perhaps when there are fewer applicants there may be a greater chance at appeal especially for such a near miss.

As far as I am aware there were no successful appeals against non-qualification at this school last year, but you would need to check this with the school or the LA Admissions Department. Last year the non statutory "Headteachers' Appeals" did take place so it is possible that chances at statutory appeal may be rather higher this year?

You would be able to present your daughter's poor health as mitigating circumstances (backed up with the medical evidence) and hopefully the primary school would be able to say that she had not been performing at her best over the period you mention due to ill health but will have evidence of how well she is able to do when she has been well. There is a lot of information and guidance to be had on appeals in Etienne's Appeal Questions and Answers section.
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

We have been through appeals process. You have to wait until school places are allocated. It is stressful - think very carefully before you do it. Are you giving your daughter the impression another school, that they may end up attending, is not good enough etc? You really need the support of the primary head and Y5 & Y6 teachers as they have forms to fill in. You need to present evidence that your child's work is usually well within the top 25% and that there was a very good reason for them not performing on the 2 days of testing. Hopefully that information would have been noted at testing time. We were successful, but not many are and it is not something I would particularly recommend.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now