What happened on Non-Verbal?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ChavDad

What happened on Non-Verbal?

Post by ChavDad »

Strikes me everybody is getting low scores on this. Am I right?

Not that I'm obsessing! :lol:
tonbridgemum

Post by tonbridgemum »

Yep. looks that way. DS 'failed' with 113. Its his strongest subject. Fortunately past scores helped in HT appeal to get a pass. Maybe the markers also took into account it was a yucky paper!!! :shock:
ChavDad

Post by ChavDad »

**** more likely to freeze over than ChavSons head making an appeal.
ChavDad

Post by ChavDad »

I've been bleeped. It wasn't a swear, ChavDad in name only 8) ! Was only a h e l l
pemburydad

Post by pemburydad »

Not at the school my daughter's at...........there were a number of very high NV scores...........maths seems to have been the problem paper for those not successful
TonDad

Post by TonDad »

Nope, DD got 140 NVR other scores were in the 120's. 2nd highest in Maths her worst subject. No rhyme or reason, logic out the window, we're all searching for meaning in the chaos of exam pressure and small confused minds trashing our carefully laid plans...rambling.... need more wine.
shuff

Post by shuff »

I am completely anti non verbal and think we should ditch it like Bexley! It is an outdated, antiquated form of testing which should be abolished. Which child goes to non verbal reasoning lessons on a regular basis? Verbal is literacy based and maths of course an obvious choice. Sorry, could be sour grapes on my part, but I think the testing this year was a little knee-jerk!
TonDad

Post by TonDad »

Actually I thought asking pupils about ******was antiquated and some of the vocab in VR! Of course given NVR was her best subject I could be biased but her HT told me today it was the best test of inate intelligence and ability to cope and adapt and therefore the best test to judge a pupils ability to cope with GS.

It's a good test of spatial awareness as well and some dyslexics who struggle with VR can be good at this offsetting their verbal weakness and go on to do very well at GS.

Aparently it's the least affected by tutoring so for those who can't afford private tuition it helps level the playing field. What pupils go to NVR lessons on a regular basis? None hopefully but it depends on whether you want the best pupils or the most tutored.

edited by a moderator, too much information.
twellsmum

Post by twellsmum »

My DD who had very little formal tutoring (other than a week long course of mornings practising all three types of papers in a group of eight children with two teachers) did her best in NVR. However, she has always been good at NVR and in the past has been getting between 137 and 140. In the 11+ she only got 129 for NVR.
2stressed

Post by 2stressed »

DD1 has had no tutoring she just did a few NFER practice papers in the run up averaging about 80%. In the NVR test she scored 130. This was her lowest score but in practice NVR had been her best subject.