HELP !!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

New shoes

HELP !!

Post by New shoes »

My DS's results were Maths 134, VR 125 and NVR 108. Needless to say that he didn't pass the Kent test. It has taken us all day to get the marks from the school who originally said that they would not be passing them on until Wednesday eve as KCC have given them strict instructions. After speaking to KCC and challanging the school we finally got these numbers.We are assured that an appeal was lodged but after being told earlier in the week that the schools didn't know the results until we do I doubt this has been done. KCC will not tell me whether an appeal was lodged. At parent's evening tonight his teacher has told me that he is gifted in Maths (got 5B at the end of Year 5).
I know from previous posts that you can't lodge an appeal until March if your HT has already done so but if I don't think this has been done has anyone got any ideas if I as a parent can do so earlier? :(
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

Can't really help you much here as I am in the same boat apart from my HT did appeal but was not successful.I have just e-mailed KCC to see if there is an earlier time we can appeal,so hopefully they will reply tomorrow and I will let you know.
Don't know how you are feeling but I keep bursting into tears every so often but nice to know I'm not alone in my fight!!!

SSBJHAM
New shoes

Post by New shoes »

Thank You for replying to me. I too feel so helpless and would be so grateful if you would come back to me when you have a reply from KCC.
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

Of course.Here's hoping.
MGSMUM

Post by MGSMUM »

Dear New Shoes and ssbjham

After some months away from this forum, I've sneaked a peek in the last few days.

My heart goes out to both of you, it really does. We were in the same boat last year, and I do not underestimate how devestated you will be feeling. The system for appeals, although slightly different to last year does not seem to be an improvement in terms of length of time to wait - and that is dreadful. Keep strong - one thing that I realised last year was how much my son could teach me in the light of all this - he was amazing-resourceful, resilient and positive (eventually!)

I know everyone will say to you that things will improve - at the moment it probably doesn't feel like - so just go with the flow. I promise that you will move on from this, but be easy on yourselves.

If you are going to go to appeal, there were a number of us on this forum last year who went through the process, some successful, some not so. Personally, I found this site a huge help, just in terms of support and advice - it made me feel less 'alone' in my quest.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do x
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

Posted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:12 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What exactly is the Statutory appeal is it the one that they have when you have been allocated a school? Also somebody mentioned that you can appeal against the HT appeal being unsuccessful if you could prove it was unfair.Does anybody have any idea how you would find out if it was?At the time of the HT appeal she was not aware of certain circumstances that could have affected my childs result.

While I am posting I would like to say thank you ,to all of you ,who have given myself and others who are in my position , support ,understanding and kind thoughts.Thank you it is really appreciated.
SSBJHAM
ssbjham

Post by ssbjham »

MGSMUM

Thank you so much for taking time to post and encourage.I am feeling a bit better today but feel angry now that although my son achieved the pass mark but was refused on appeal that others didn't get the pass mark and appealed and were allowed.Obviously not angry at the children and the families (pleased that they do not have to go through what we are going through)just angry with the system.I am getting ready to dig my heels for what I know will be a very long fight!!!

Thank you once again

SSBJHAM
New shoes

Post by New shoes »

MGSMUM

Thank You you have made me feel alot better. :lol: