Bexley test - failed by 1 mark...worth appealing?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

portofino

Bexley test - failed by 1 mark...worth appealing?

Post by portofino »

my son got 104 VR & 112 Maths. Total 216 - pass mark 217.

I'd been told by lea it isnt worth appealing as he probably wouldnt be successful unless he had medical reason etc.

Have been told by school teachers since Yr1 he was well above level of classmates, however unsure whether his Head would support appeal as the school seems quite anti-11plus generally.

are we likely to have much chance on appeal? am currently considering moving area as the non-grammar school options are not great, but if theres a chance of getting him in to a grammar i would prefer not to (move that is!)

Thanks in advance
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I'm afraid the odds are against you, as the success rate for grammar school appeals in Bexley seems very low, and it would be a serious problem if you lack the full support of the current headteacher.

However, it's a near miss, and it may be worth appealing to see what happens. If you don't try, you'll never know.

The process can be very stressful, but you've little to lose if you go into it without expecting much, and with alternative plans in place.
Etienne
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi there

I would, in fact I did, and we won, although not for this area.

I was told by a relative that he may as well have been 100 points off.
I disagree.

Please, dont be unsure that the Head wont support, ask.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Lots of well-intentioned parents in Kent are advising parents of children who have failed the Bexley test to "have a go". Appeals in Bexley are a great deal harder to win than in Kent. Underperformance on the day is unlikely to be a good enough case unless your child is exceptionally gifted academically and you can point to a specific reason why they underperformed.

There are 4 grammar schools in Bexley. In the last three years, a total of six appeals have been successful.

I don't want to discourage anyone, and, even if it's a very long shot I can understand why people would want to have a go. But equally I don't think parents should be given false hope.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I agree with Bexley Mum 2, and repeat the advice given above: "The process can be very stressful, but you've little to lose if you go into it without expecting much, and with alternative plans in place".

The details of previous grammar school appeals in Bexley can be found here:
http://www.bexley.gov.uk/service/school ... ns2009.pdf
page 22

Unfortunately most LAs do not provide this sort of breakdown for grammar school appeals, although it should be possible to ask for the information under the Freedom of Information Act.
Etienne
cindy

Post by cindy »

I have not wanted to give anyone false hope.

I just thought it was difficult to make a choice to appeal without all the
information, such as, would the Head support an appeal.

I grant I am lucky, both my two are in Grammar. I just felt that if I had listened to some of the negative advice I was given, I would not only
have not known what could have been, but he would not be there now.

It was a stressful process, and one that I could not have gone through
withouth the expert advice on this website.

I came back to the website this year, to assist in any way I was able,
as a payback for those who took the time and trouble to respond to me.

However, I grant, I am no expert. I will leave it to those who are.

Good luck.

Cindyx
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Cindy - you've posted some excellent advice on this forum and I hope you continue to do so. I'm sorry if I've offended you. I certainly am no expert on appeals and have no first-hand experience of one. However, I do live in Bexley and know from talking to other parents and people at the LEA how difficult it is to win an appeal here. It's a natural assumption for a Kent parent to make that an appeal in Bexley will be as easy/difficult to win as in Kent but I just wanted to set the record straight that that is not the case. I certainly would never discourage anyone from going to appeal, no matter how slim the chance, but I do think parents should know what their chances of success are before they start the process.

Best wishes BM2
cindy

Post by cindy »

no offence taken.
portofino

Post by portofino »

thanks to everyone who responded. ultimately we are going to appeal, because we dont have anything to lose by doing so. We live almost on the doorstep of a non-selective school & whilst i really dont want him to go there, i know he would be certain of a place if the appeal was unsuccessful. long term though i think if he didnt get into the grammar on appeal we would move.

havent managed to speak to the head yet, will point out to her the comments that have been made by all his teachers over the last 5 years in terms of his ability etc (as a result of which - although its far too late to worry about it now - we never got him a tutor as we got the impression he would walk it, given he finds class work so easy! every other child who passed in his school has been tutored for the last 1-2 years...hindsight is a wonderful thing!)

dont know if it would also be worth mentioning in terms of an appeal that his dad & i separated - on pretty bad terms - over the summer & we moved out, i hadnt even thought of this affecting his performance but on reflection its possible it did.

will just have to wait and see re appeal i guess!
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

Sorry to hear that there was only one mark in it! :(

Have been reading some posts in the past about how anti GS some head teachers/primary schools are. I'm appalled by this - who are they to impose there views on others?! :o
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now