should we appeal ?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bigsister.

should we appeal ?

Post by bigsister. »

hi,

i have never posted on this forum before - but have used it alot when me and my younger sister have been confused over any aspect of the eleven plus and we have founf it very useful!

unfortunately, my sister did not manage to pass the eleven plus - she scored maths - 107 verbal - 118 and non verbal - 119. a headteachers appeal did take place but failed as apparently my sisters schoolwork did not reflect her results.

we want to appeal for the grammar school in sittingbourne - which is not ever oversubscribed but we are unsure whether it would be worth appealing with the above results.

would be great if anyone could give some advice on if it would be worthwhile? thanks.

(also, she has two sisters at the gs already and goes to a failing primary school - not sure if this would make any difference)

x
cindy

Post by cindy »

Hi,

I know of someone who won on appeal with eight points short, I imagine
it depends more on past evidence of consistent achievment.

As Eteinne says the more short on points, the stonger the evidence
has to be.

I know of a lot of people who Head teacher appeal failed, but they then went on to win the formal appeal, my son was one of many that this happened to.

The Head must think that your sister has the potential, as he/she would not have put forward the appeal.

I would appeal, if past SATs were very good.

Did your sister have a tutor?

Cindy
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

I'm going to be honest and say that the scores weren't very high. The way I understand it this year the minimum score required combined is 360. Your sister's score was 344, which is quite below the 360 mark. Please don't get me wrong, they aren't bad scores and your sister has done well to achieve what she did - I'm not taking anything away from that.
I'm just wondering did she have a bad day? Or, is that actually a true reflection of where she is? If the latter is true, then she may actually struggle to keep up at a GS.
However, if she had a 'bad day' and these scores were totally unexpected and she is predicted high SATs results etc. then of course you need to investigate further an appeal.
Did she say she found it hard/as expected/easy? Did she finish the exams? Did she seem nervous?
I too know of somebody who didn't get through HT appeal but did get through the later appeal, but this person was only one point below on one subject and the other two subjects were high scores.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now