Maidstone Boys/Oakwood oversubscription

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

happynow

Maidstone Boys/Oakwood oversubscription

Post by happynow »

Despite living in Maidstone (about 3 miles from MGSB, 2 from Oakwood) I've heard that as large numbers of boys seem to have been assessed as suitable for grammar this year, it will be difficult to get into local grammar schools. My sons scores don't meet the oversubscription criteria of 390 minimum score at Maidstone boys. Can anyone confirm if the oversubscription criteria are put into place after places are initially given to local children - or should I now assume that the school is only appropriate for children who score 390 plus?
Also do you think it is possible that a child living in Maidstone could be refused a place at both Maidstone Boys Grammar and Oakwood Park, having passed the 11plus and naming both as preferences?
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

What is the oversubscription criteria for Oakwood? Distance or score?
dadofkent

Re: Maidstone Boys/Oakwood oversubscription

Post by dadofkent »

happynow wrote:Despite living in Maidstone (about 3 miles from MGSB, 2 from Oakwood) I've heard that as large numbers of boys seem to have been assessed as suitable for grammar this year, it will be difficult to get into local grammar schools. My sons scores don't meet the oversubscription criteria of 390 minimum score at Maidstone boys. Can anyone confirm if the oversubscription criteria are put into place after places are initially given to local children - or should I now assume that the school is only appropriate for children who score 390 plus?
Also do you think it is possible that a child living in Maidstone could be refused a place at both Maidstone Boys Grammar and Oakwood Park, having passed the 11plus and naming both as preferences?
The 390 is applied first to pupils in the catchment area, to obtain the first tranche of entrants. Then normal oversubsription criteria, i.e. distance for most, are applied to the remaining applicants who have passed the test. If I recall correctly, it was expected that the 390 selection mark was expected to fill the first 25/30% of places, based on previous years results. I think there may still be an article in the news section on the MGS website.
happynow

Post by happynow »

Distance for Oakwood.
bmxdad

Post by bmxdad »

Good to see the Maidstone schools mentioned !! I was beginning to the think there were only 2 grammer schools in Kent worth talking about!!

I spoke to Mrs Anderson at MGS before the results were out and she explained to me that historically, from the intake of 175 boys, 40-60 of the boys would have a score over 390 and that some of those would also be siblings which is the second entrance criteria of which would be about 20-30 boys ... the rest then went on distance from the school with the furthest entrant being just over 6 miles from the school last year ... what I couldnt tell you is whether if you score under 390 they still have the applications ranked in score order or its just purely on distance??

Whether the early test shakes up those figures remains to be seen??

I would be interested to know anyones thoughts on the 2 Maidstone grammers now that they have both had their open days
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

bmxdad
Visited OP and MGS both last year and this.
We felt that OP is probably stronger pastorally and has a wider social mix than MGS. MGS attracts a lot of those who've been at the local private schools I suspect.
Both schools have excellent academic stats and OP has improved a lot in recent years.
The 390 thing may put off some who have passed with lower scores.
MGS seems more traditional and the head - who leaves soon - is very hot on tradition, achievement and instilling leadership.
MGS has nicer facilities/ buildings and surroundings whilst OP shares a site with other schools and a college. Less self-contained.
Our son scored 420 and is a very bright, mature all-rounder and really wants to go to MGS. We'd have been happy with either but MGS is, luckily, just across the park and our preferred option too!
Quite a few friends from his school are likely to go there too as are several of his footie team so that helps.
I don't think scores over 390 are ranked.
Good luck.
2stressed

Post by 2stressed »

My DS goes to MGS and absolutely loves it, as do all his friends. None of them went to private school. It is very strict with regard uniform and appearance but they seem to respect the rules. The workload so far seems to be quite reasonable. I can't say enough good things about it.
bmxdad

Post by bmxdad »

Thanks for the comments, very helpful !!

MGS is our preferred choice too and his marks will get him in we are told, although my son needs convincing as I think he smells hard work!! We really liked MGS on our visit on Wednesday and my mum loved the art dept!! Think OP suffered for us as it was the first school we saw so we didnt really have anything to judge it on - I think I felt that MGS looked more productive maybe - do have to say though that some of the classrooms looked on the small side in the old block??

Have to say I was really impressed by QE at Faversham but I dont think we would get in there from Maidstone!!

Will you be going to the other open days at MGS to make sure???
Grumpy Old Man

Post by Grumpy Old Man »

As far as we're concerned, son wants MGS, we like it and lots of parents with kids there swear by it so that is fine by us.
You really need to visit both and decide but both are very good schools.
If you can get your child into a GOOD school locally, why look elsewhere?
Kent Mum

Post by Kent Mum »

I know that this is too late for stating preferences on the CAF- but I just wanted to say that my son (year 8 ) is at MGS and loves it there. It's very much a traditional school, which appealed to my son- and us- a great deal. I can't really fault it. Obviously there are always little niggles but it's a lovely school. At the moment there are new classrooms being built and modernising going on.

One of his best friends is at Oakwood and loves it there. His family were impressed with the pastoral care. I have to say though that my son had a bit of a wobbly incident in year 7 and the staff couldn't have been more helpful or sensitive.

Just thought I'd add that I don't know about distance cut-offs but when we applied it was, as usual, over subscribed. We live 10.57 miles from the school (according to route planners!) and that obviously wasn't a problem. Hopefully it won't be too problematic for folk this year.

Good luck in whatever schools your sons get into, everyone. I hope you get the best for them.
Of course I'm out of my mind! It's dark and scary in there!!!!