Dover Girls and Folkestone Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
bobc

Dover Girls and Folkestone Girls

Post by bobc »

Our daughter has taken both the Kent test and the seperate Dover test.

Unfortunately she did not quite pass the Kent test :cry: but she did pass the Dover test :D

We have been advised to put Dover School for Girls as our first choice on the list of preffered schools, which we will do. In reality, living in Folkestone we would of preferred Folkestone Girls purely for logistical reasons and may appeal next year.

Will living in Folkestone prejudice our chances of her going to Dover even though she passed their test?

Has any one had a previous similar experience and can you offer any advice.
wonderingmum

Post by wonderingmum »

Hmmmm....I think I would ask Folkestone Girls for advice ASAP...I went to the open evening and they were very open to appeals from girls who had not passed the test but had high SAT's results etc...passing the Dover Test, which FGSG used to do (or something very similar I believe) would be a great 'appeal' tool.
I suspect that if you put Dover as your first choice and Folkestone as your second, if you get into Dover you could go to Folkestone and explain that you already have a grammar school place but would prefer your daughter to go to FGSG?
Good luck and congratulations
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

as suggested you could contact FSG , nothing to be lost by trying, especially if you mention how you both preferred them to Dover.

Living in Folkestone should not be a barrier to getting a place at DGSG I know of several children who have done this. Both are good schools. Good luck
bobc

Post by bobc »

We went into our Primary school yesterday to discuss the results.
They said we are in a funny situation with passing the Dover test and failing the Kent test as we might end up with our 4th choice school!!! just due to Dover being oversubscribed and where we live and places going to children who live nearer first-On the other hand they said we may of course be offered Dover and that will be great.

The school agreed that passing the Dover test will be a good tool to use in an appeal to Folkestone Girls but it will of course be needed to be backed up with SATS and this years work. One thing moving the exam forward has done has given children (like ours) time to show improvement in work if needed for an appeal.

My wife and I have talked about this non stop for the last couple of days, but the bottom line is what is best for our little girl. She has friends already at Dover and is leaning towards there at the moment. I think we are just worried as parents about travelling and the time element involved.
Has anyone got any opinions about the differences between Folkestone and Dover? I know they are both great academically but even our Primary said there is a difference between them in terms of atmosphere.