Bucks Format Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Average Dad

Bucks Format Please

Post by Average Dad »

My son will take 11+ in Oct 2006. Whilst I will ensure he is familiar with both MC and std formats for all subjects, can someone please tell me which format, which publisher and which subjects he can expect for the Buckinghamshire area?
bb

Did you check the 11 Plus Bucks section in this website?

Post by bb »

11 Plus Bucks has a dedicated section in this website
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plus-bucks.php
Go through that page, post again if you still need more information.
Average Dad

Thank You

Post by Average Dad »

VMT for the steer. Reading the question in full first springs to mind.
Bucks Expert

Post by Bucks Expert »

Hi Average Dad,

The 2 Multiple Choice Verbal Reasoning (VR) Papers set by Bucks are written by NFER Nelson. However please be aware that Bucks have over 30 types of questions for VR compared with 22 types nationally. The extra types are biased towards Maths and English which Bucks do not separately test for compared to other Local Education Authorities.

You would therefore be advised to purchase the Nfer-Nelson verbal reasoning papers (multiple choice format). Other Buckinghamshire based publishers include IPS and Susan Daughtery, who produced Bucks focused practice papers (i.e. the full set of types of questions).

If you are from outside Bucks the LEA will send you three practice papers to get your child familiar with their papers, if you are local then your local school will administer the same.
patricia

incorrect information

Post by patricia »

'average dad'

Unfortunately you have been fed some incorrect information, Bucks only have 21 different types of questions

IPS cover the exact type

AFN also cover the same type

With regard to Susan Daughtrey do not use her books 1-7 as a lot of the questions are irrelevant, use her Bright Sparks series which mimic the real NFER very well

NFER should be used last for practice in the same format however be aware that there are a number of question types missing.

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bucks Expert

Correction corrected

Post by Bucks Expert »

Not quite -

Bucks have more than 21 types of questions.

Susan Daughtery does only books 1-4, they are called Techniques and Practice Books 1 to 4 (not seven). Her FOUR books cover 35 types of questions used in Bucks examinations. She has been teaching and preparing children in Bucks for 11+ since 1993 - I am sure she knows what she is doing more so relatively than IPS who have been around for around 2 years.

IPS questions are of a good quality - do noty get me wrong. From my experience AFN is also useful but over priced compared to the former two.
patricia

average dad

Post by patricia »

Oh Dear

Poor average dad is now going to be totally confused

I can assure you Susan Daughtrey has 7 books of which many types are irrelevant, only use her NEW bright sparks series which has the exact type questions. She obviously realised that her 'old' books were outdated for the new bucks tests, which came in about 5/6 years ago

There are ONLY 21 different types in the bucks tests and IPS cover the techniques accordingly

You should use IPS for learning the techniques

Start with AFN tests[slightly easier] followed by IPS, Susan Daughtrey (Bright Sparks only) and lastly NFER

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Perhaps I should have been more specific re Susan Daughtry

Books 1-4 cover 35 plus techniques [ some are split into a b and c]
Book 5 covers extra practice of the first 4 books
Books 6-7 have 10 graded tests [ 5 in each ]

However, as Bucks only cover 21 types you can see that an awful lot are irrelevant

However her new bright sparks [ 4 tests ] are the exact 21 types now used by Bucks

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
stir

Post by stir »

So Patricia,

When Susan Daughtery has revised her Techniques and Practice Books in 2003 to 2005, why do they still have 35 types of questions, and recommended for Buckinghamshire? Has she got it wrong?

My experience for what it's worth -

AFN okay but over priced - others better value e.g. IPS, Bond and Athey.

Learning Together was best value.

The Tutors were the best papers we tested.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Sometimes you just have to accept the facts

Bucks = 21 types

Susan Daughtrey Bright Sparks - 21 types

Susan Daughtrey books 1-7, Athey ,Learning Together and Bond all have some irrelevant techniques/types

By all means use these publications, just DO NOT teach your child the extra types. Make sure you know the 21 types [look at IPS for the exact type/technique and only use these types from other publishers]

Again I say I have seen the familiarisation papers and the three practice papers Bucks have been using for the last 5/6 years and yes there are only 21 types.

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now