Bond nets & cubes and NFER

Advice on 11 Plus NVR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Gilly

Bond nets & cubes and NFER

Post by Gilly »

The 'nets to cubes' NVR question type that is common in Bond papers in not among the types found in the NFER papers. I guess most of us know that.

In that case, is it safe to assume that those schools who base their NVR questions on NFER will not include the 'nets to cubes' types?

For instance, both Tiffin schools' NVR and VR questions are based on NFER format. Does anyone know, in the past years, whether they ever had NVR questions that were outside of the common NFER ones?

Gilly
Smithn31

Nets and Cubes

Post by Smithn31 »

Hi,

Thanks for pointing out the fact that Nets and Cubes are not in the NFER 11+ exam... Just wondering where you picked this info up and if there is an official source stating exactly which question types NFER use... We have started using the NFER practice papers, but are also using Bond for extra practice and would hate to spend time on anything else that is irrelevant...
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Hi Smithn31,

The things that I mentioned earlier are from my observation going through various papers. Though 'net and cubes' wasn't part of the NFER papers, I have seen one or two such questions in some 11+ Maths papers, especially the ones made by the schools themselves.

Recently I came across a 'nets and pentagon' question in one of the school Maths papers.

I am not aware of any official information from NFER on the types. The 6 types that are common in NFER papers are:

Odd one out
Codes (there are two or three variants of this type)
Analogies
Similarities
Series (sequence)
Matrices (could be 2x2, 3x3)
stevew61

Re: Bond nets & cubes and NFER

Post by stevew61 »

Gilly wrote:For instance, both Tiffin schools' NVR and VR questions are based on NFER format. Does anyone know, in the past years, whether they ever had NVR questions that were outside of the common NFER ones?
Gilly
Hi Gilly,

No knowledge of Tiffin but Reading seems to use an extended NFER format based on feedback from the boys which may be unreliable. :roll:

Part of our planning has been "be prepared" for the unexpected, if the question type is new and hard then "do your best" everyone will find it hard.

So we did spend a fun afternoon looking at nets of cubes, the 2D to 3D and spatial skills are useful in developing brain flexibility. Cutting out the nets and learning the rules was a diversion from dry NVR.

steve
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Hi Steve,

Thanks for that.

Yes, our approach has also been to cover all possible types. After learning few tips and tricks on this type of questions DS is more comfortable with them.

I know Tiffin school's questions are strictly NFER and wanted to check if any such questions appeared in the last couple of years as an extension to the usual questions.

Gilly
Smithn31

NFER Question types

Post by Smithn31 »

Gilly,

Thanks very much for your help!

Smithn31
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I came across a matrix that was new to me, in Bonds 10 minute tests 11-12 year olds.

Test 14, Qu 4. This matrix is a 4 x 4 and has one missing, So far the only ones Ive seen on the papers is 3x3.

Do we really have to prepare for everything? YoYo? fm? Gilly? Other NVR experts? :cry:
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

JaysDarlin,

Sorry, I can't be of any help here. Some 11 or so Bond test papers we have do not include any 4x4 matrix question.

We do not have these Bond 10 minutes question packs with us :( .

Gilly
fm

Post by fm »

Sorry, don't know about your area.

In Birmingham we have an exam where anything can arise so, rather than practise specific types, I deliberately confront my pupils with as many different varieties as possible.
Gilly

Post by Gilly »

Ok, already PM-ed JaysDarlin the logic. Here it is:

As we move down the rows,
1. the shapes move one position to the left.
2. Shapes change the size (small becomes big and big to small)
3. Shapes in the first and fourth column are the same.

Gilly
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now