Independent schools for boys in North West Kent area

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

reginaphalangie

Independent schools for boys in North West Kent area

Post by reginaphalangie »

Anyone got any experience of them - good or bad. I am a GS teacher but don't think DS will pass this time next year so we are thinking about indie schools.Thanx :D
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

If you go onto ISC.CO.UK and look on the school search section you can put in your postcode and it will bring up a map with schools in your area.
reginaphalangie

thanks :) :) - i do know which schools are around (not that many) just wondering if people have experiences of them :) :)
reginaphalangie

no one then? :( :(
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

What schools are you interested in? I suppose North Kent is a large area so you may need to be more specific or at least name some schools that are in your area or that you'd be willing to travel to. :)
Kent99

Post by Kent99 »

Tonbridge or Sevenoaks seem the most obvious "premier league" schools in West Kent. They are selective entry (13+ for T, 11+ or 13+ for S) but anecdotal evidence suggests that they may take boys who would not pass the 11+. Both have excellent reputations with Tonbridge getting a rave review in the Good Schools Guide. Are they too far south for you? If so, I have no suggestions. Sorry.
maria

Post by maria »

It is really difficult for boys in NW Kent. Sevenoaks and Tonbridge are both highly selective and you are unlikely to get in if the 11+ isn't a goer. I have experience of 2 of the co-ed schools, Sackville and Bethany and wouldn't particularly rate either (though the management of Sackville has changed recently). Have you looked at Sutton Vallance or Lingfield? Beechwood is also taking boys into yr 7 from this year I understand.
reginaphalangie

we looked around Sackville - compared to what the kiddies get that i teach at GS it wasn't worth near on £12 grand a year, - quite disappointed...Think Bethany and the maidstone indie schools are too far away...so..will look into south east London....blimey why is it sooo hard to find nice schools for boys :(
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

I have no information about your region...but does it have to be single gender then?
reginaphalangie

No def not but sooooooo many girls only indie schools - it seems no one wants to teach nice boys from nice families who are not really all that academic at 11 :(

I will send him anywhere that will take him with girls, boys, aliens ..... :)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now