Help with essay-type topics for the 11+ preparation

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

deha

Help with essay-type topics for the 11+ preparation

Post by deha »

Hello everybody!
Could anyone give me a short list of different essay-type topics suitable for the 11+ entrance exams preparation?My son is preparing for the Sutton boys. Tiffin boys and Wilson's exams.
He is good in Maths but seems to be struggling with his essays!

Any help will be much appreciated.
Croydon Mum
Bromley

Post by Bromley »

A friend of mine had an interesting take on essay preparation.

Instead of looking at themes he spent a lot of time with his son creating a boy and a girl character.

They had the names ready, a physical description for each and emotional words for each.

Then they did the same thing for both nice weather and bad weather. The idea being that whatever topic was given for the essay the key characters were already created and his son knew how they would "behave".

Not surprisingly his did very well in the 11+
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

That brings back memories of something my sister in law said to me years ago when her children took the 11+. I 'm pretty sure that that is what they did. (They passed).
It's a great idea as you get to really know these characters and begin to 'know' how they would react in situations!
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, Yes I had the same experience, a Y6 class I was in as a TA was taught by a fantastic teacher who advised the very same thing for SATS papers.
Her reason for having a boy and girl characteralready planned was so that within the essay you can say "he" or "she" instead of always having to use their names.You can also save valuable time if those details are taken care of.

The characters can be "moved" to any setting and used for any type of essay.

best wishes Proud Mum x2
surreymum

Post by surreymum »

Hi

That sounds a really good idea creating characters.

You need to be aware that for the last 2 years the Sutton entrance exam essay has not been a traditional story. Last year it was if you could change a school rule what would you change and why and the previous year it was if you were prime minister for a day what would you change. There is no choice in the Sutton exam.
I don't know the format of the Tiffins paper. The Wilson's paper usually has a choice of 3 titles including a traditional "story".