William Hulme's Grammar school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
JB mum

William Hulme's Grammar school

Post by JB mum »

Does anyone know about the 11 plus tests for William Hulme's grammar school in manchester.

No postings on this forum but surely there must be someone viewers of thsi site that come from Manchester? Please help.

Many thanks

JB mum
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear JB mum

Following link may be of some help.....NVR by NFER

http://www.whgs.co.uk/downloads/Info%20 ... icants.doc

Patricia
JB mum

Post by JB mum »

very helpful thank you patricia
Stephen1

Post by Stephen1 »

William Hulme is no longer a grammar school or a private school. It changed from private to state school about a year ago. The entrance exam is non verbal reasoning only. But before your child revises too much you should be aware that they do not just take children with the best marks. They take some from the top band, some from the middle band, some from the third band etc. This is to avoid the school selecting on the basis of ability.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi JB mum and Stephen1

Its nice to hear from people from Manchester - I am originally from there and was wondering why no one posts from that area, or Trafford for that matter? I have heard the same of William Hulme's - that its not a grammar school anymore - however someone was saying this is not true - so you may want to find out more information yourself.

What about the Trafford schools though - esp Altrincham. They are meant to be really good?
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

I am here, never fear! I do venture out from the Trafford forum occasionally when the silence gets particularly deafening.

I think the reason the Trafford forum isn't as happening a place as Bucks, for example, is that Trafford isn't super-competitive with about 30% grammar school places and a lot of excellent secondary schools as well. It always does very well overall in the league tables when you take all results into account and so generally I'd say people are happy with the choice on offer. There are always kids who don't pass the relevant entrance exams (each of the 7 grammar schools has a separate exam) but the schools appear to have a very reasonable appeal process and allow a fair number of appeals each year.

I have a daughter at Altrincham Girls Grammar and am delighted with it. No 2 daughter has just passed the exam to go there next year and can't wait to buy her uniform.

Wait a minute, though. Maybe the reason my experience is so positive is that I really am the only person in Trafford??? :lol:
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Good for you TraffordMum! Thats so good to hear! Does that mean your daughter took the test this year? That was quick! Is Trafford one of the earlier counties to sit the test then?
TraffordMum

Post by TraffordMum »

Well, there are 7 separate exams, one for each of the 7 schools and yes, they are all over for the 2009 entry, although not all the results are out yet.

The exams for Altrincham Girls and Altrincham Boys were on 13th September which I think was the equal earliest date along with a couple of other schools elsewhere in the country. Results for the Girls were received on 8th October and the Boys on 11th October. My daughter did Altrincham Girls and also the exam for Sale Grammar on 4th October but for which we are still awaiting results (not that they matter now since she passed Alty Girls and we live within half a mile and she has a sibling there already. Phew.)

It's nice to get it over with but just as nerve-wracking whenever you take it.
doorstop04

WILLIAM HULME'S GRAMMAR SCHOOL - STATUS

Post by doorstop04 »

I stumbled upon this website when looking up my old school, WHGS. if you google William Hulme's Grammar School, loads of information is availoable including status, notably in the Prospectus document. Also there is an admissions policy statement to clarify how they admit kids.

The information states that in 2002, the "United Learning Trust Academy" began running WHGS on behalf of the Department for Children Schools and Families (DfCSF). I suspect that this means that this company is a supplier of school services against a well regulated specification set by DfCSF and owns the school. My best guess is that WHGS is still independent. The ULTA runs 15 of these new academies across the country.

The United Learning Trust Academy is a subsidiary of United Church School's Trust which already operated a number of indepedent fee paying schools prior to 2002. The ULTA follows the C of E ethos according to the information reflecting the fact that they are a subsidiary company of United Church School's Trust.

When I left the school in 1978, it was a boys only grammar school for 11+ children that didn't play football (Rugby, Lacrosse and Cricket seasons). Now there are chiljdren as young as 3, girls and football. Girls seem to have arrived around 1987. How things change!

Hope that helps but as I say there is loads of info available if you google.

Regards

Mark Hope
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now