Slough Grammar Test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Slough Grammar Test

Post by Guest »

If anyone can help - ?? My son is going to do the Slough Grammar Exam.

I understand it is NVR, VR and Maths. For VR we have been preparing using NFER and IPS papers, is that sufficient ? For NVR and Maths what papers should we use ? He son has a pet hate against NVR therefore I really need to focus him. I would very grateful for any help ?? Thanks
chad

Post by chad »

Is your son taking the exam this November? If so then I would have thought that you would be best concentrating on the NFER papers for NV and Maths as these are the closest to the real thing (so we are told).
I did this with my son. We went thru the paper (untimed) to find out which questions he had problems with... in his case the VR was his problem and he had not covered some ogf the maths at primary. I then concentrated on the problem areas and revised with the same NFER paper. We then went on to use the other papers in timed sessions.

If you are talking about Nov 2007 then Catherine may be able to advise you as she has used other resources that proved successful.

Good luck

Nov 2006

Post by Guest »

Many thanks for your reply, he is going to take it this November. We have been working on VR using Bucks format (21 types) as we live on the boarder. Do Slough use 21 types as well ? Maths we preparing him using NFER however there are only 4 papers. Any more suggestions ? For NVR again do we use Nfer or any others ?

Many thanks
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Hello guest,

If you have prepared your son for the Bucks tests, he is well prepared for the VR in Slough.
I am not sure about the 21 questions types. I have assumed for a long time that there was no extra tyoes in Slough, but in reality, I don't kmow.

For maths, if you have finished the NFER papers, you can try the IPS 35mns or 6mns papers. They are very simillar to NFER, just a bit harder I think, so don't get disheartened if your son scores less with NFER.

For NVR, yes you should use the NFER tests. For more advice, read this thread:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 15&start=0

There is a lot in it. I think that all the comments apply to NFER type tests.

Most of the recent posts in the Verbal reasoning section would be relevant for you I think.

Please ask if you have any more question.

Best of luck

Catherine

Many Thanks to Catherine

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your reply and your advice - do you know if Slough Grammar send out a familiarisation tests as we haven't got a pack as yet ?

Again thanks for your help!
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

If your son is doing it as out of county applicant, the answer is no. (Unless they have changed their policy since last year of course). You only receive an invitation to test with the exam timetable.

Otherwise I don't know, but I guess from your questions that you are in the first category.

Thanks to Catherine

Post by Guest »

Thanks Catherine for your reply. I will download the e-papers for NVRs from this site and we will keep working !!

Many Thanks

Regards
Virginia

Re: Slough Grammar Test

Post by Virginia »

Anonymous wrote:If anyone can help - ?? My son is going to do the Slough Grammar Exam.

I understand it is NVR, VR and Maths. For VR we have been preparing using NFER and IPS papers, is that sufficient ? For NVR and Maths what papers should we use ? He son has a pet hate against NVR therefore I really need to focus him. I would very grateful for any help ?? Thanks
Use the NFER NVR and Maths as well. You can get these from WHSmiths

Good luck