Tips for the last month of preparation

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dee

Tips for the last month of preparation

Post by Dee »

Has anyone got any tips as we enter the last month! My DS is doing a few practise papers a week but is starting to get bored and I think just wants the whole thing over! Has anyone got any advise as to how to mantain motivation whilst maximising scores?
I've kept the bright sparks papers back for November but wondered if there is anything else that would be beneficial? :?
scatshouse

Post by scatshouse »

Hi Dee,

You could photocopy some of the practice papers and offer to have him a race. My son is very competitive so he liked this idea. It also helped with the timing.

Not long now!
Good Luck
Scatshouse
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

I am concentrating on ds's vocab knowledge these days - getting him to brush up on different types of flowers, trees, insects, countries, etc.

I test him on the question types he is a bit weak on by going through papers and just looking out for the correct section - and i tell him he just needs to tell me the answer and doesnt have to mark anything down - so it seems more of an informal chat than a study session.

I get him to do crosswords and wordsearches, match-up's etc and he seems happier with that.

Having said that, we do tests regularly, and once every five days he has a "test day" where he sits both papers with a 15 minute break in between - but that's because we are doing both VR and NVR.

I also get him to do exercises from The First Aid of English, which I find is excellent in teaching english language.

Hope this helped, sorry to ramble.
Dee

Post by Dee »

Fantastic ideas thank you. I've got the first aid to English so I'll get him to do some of the exercises.
It's definitely the home straight!!! :D
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now