Should I request a review?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
undecided

Should I request a review?

Post by undecided »

Hi - new to this site so be gentle lol.

My DD just got her results and missed passing by a standardised 14 points, ie she could have got an extra 7 points on either maths or writing to have reached the 526. To me this is very close and I am wondering whether it is worth asking for a review. The school told me that if she didn't pass that they would support us all the way.

I have no idea what to write as my statement - DD was extremely nervous on the day and had been ill the previous week from school due to sickness, but are these reasons to put on the form?

She is in the top group for science and in 2nd group for maths and literacy, being at level 4a for literacy and 4b for maths. It was her slightly lower maths score that let her down. Her scores were: 106 VR, 104 written and 99 for maths.

HELP! What are the chances of this being overturned seeing as it is close - but how close do you need to be for her to stand a chance at all?
superMonkey

Post by superMonkey »

Sorry, I can't help as don't know!
However, if the school are backing you, you have nothing to lose by requesting a review?
Good luck - I'm sure there is someone else who can help you. :?

Monkey
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cookie39

Post by Cookie39 »

If the school are going to back you then you should go for it. A child at my DDs school missed out by more than that last year and got through on the review because the school was adament he was suitable for selective and they could prove it with his work.

I wish you lots of luck with whatever you decide.
undecided

Post by undecided »

Thank you for your responses so far! I have been sitting here pondering what to write on the form! She has the ability (I am a teacher of ks2 children) but lacks some confidence in her maths. When pressed she can do it, but under pressure she is not so great! Clearly this 'disability' doesn't apply to her writing or VR though! I was EXACTLY the same - I did pass my 11+ all those years ago, and my lack of confidence has never left me - it was the same issue in maths with me as it is for her but it has not held me back. My eldest daughter was the same, although she passed - but didn't get a C or higher GCSE in maths despite going to Fort Pitt! I guess what I am trying to say is that it doesn't matter if she isn't so hot in one area but it shouldn't hold her back from going to a grammar school. We are not talking her being way behind, far from it and that is what is so frustrating!! Sorry for the rant!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Belinda

Post by Belinda »

undecided

Post by undecided »

HOw do I find my PMs? I am usually good with these things but can't find the PM option!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
undecided

Post by undecided »

Found it! Makes for interesting reading! I have drafted my first thoughts, citing the whole testing process as one of the reasons she underperformed. Compared to the Kent test (which she didn't do, but my nephew did) it was so much more stressful! I really feel for these chidren who were subjected to such harsh conditions which they have never encountered before! Kent did their tests in school over a period of 2 days to take the pressure off, which USED to be the process in Medway, but they seem to want to make it as difficult for the children as possible. My daughter was a bag of nerves and was sick the week before for 3 days! She had hardly any sleep the night before and so was not her full-self on the day. Whether that is grounds I have no idea but I strongly believe that if the tests were carried out in a more child-friendly fashion that children would perform to their best in more cases as it is a well known fact that some people just don't do well in tests despite their abilities.