worth appealing

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

windsor

worth appealing

Post by windsor »

My son scores especially his maths score of 92 do not reflect his ability,I had him assesed privately for his 11 plus told he was more than able and his maths was on 95th percintle.
His verbal reasoning was 96 and writing his weakest subject normally was 104 ,and i do hate to say thisold chesnut but his nerves are very bad, some people do suffer with nerves, and he is easily distracted in unfamiliar surroundings he is quite an immature boy ( 10years and 2 months ) also very worried about failure as two siblings already at grammar school. with a total score of 488 is this to far off the mark to have any success at appeal.
help please.
narnia
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Hi Windsor. Have you spoken to your child's school?
I would have to say that in my humble opinion that you are right. I would imagine that 488 is too far of the mark to appeal. I understand that it must be a very difficult time for you and your child, especially with the pressure of two siblings at grammar school. How has your child taken the news? If he suffers a lot from nerves then personally I would say he probably would do much better at the 'top' of a comprehensive where he would be sitting comfortably and building up his confidence.
This is only my opinion. But I do wish you and your family all the best. I too have an elder child at grammar and a younger child will sit the 11+ next September and I am determined to emphasise to him that he is a different person and has different choices available to him.
In my experience, it is the parents that are the unhappiest when their children does not 'pass' but actually the children are stronger than we give credit to and bounce back quite quickly.
Good luck in your decision.
lacey

Post by lacey »

My daughter got 502. I did speak to the Headteacher tonight. I didn't really have enough time to speak at length with her. But she did ask if she had got over 500. So I wondering that maybe they are willing to help pupils over the 500 mark. I have going for the review. My daughter goes to Catholic school and they have never really encouraged the taking of the eleven plus because they prefer the pupils to go on to the feeder school. I think I have done all I can do now.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
undecided

Post by undecided »

THere is a lot of conflicting info going on within schools it seems! My DD's school thinks that 14 marks is way off the mark, yet my head teacher where I work thinks it was very close. HAd she scored below 500 then I would readily accept that she had not passed and not bothered with any appeal - however, you know your child and only you can know whether to fight. My DD's headteacher only started working there this term yet seems to think she knows my dd but has never met her!! Her class teachers for both this year and last both said that they would support any grammar school application, yet this is dismissed as piffle by the head! I am extremely angry but still hopeful that our meeting tomorrow may sway her attitude! As DD is at high leve 4/low level 5 already I feel she could cope with a school such as Fort Pitt (where my other daughter went, so we do know the level of work set there).

i agree with the nerves issue - particularly as the tests are now in such dire circumstances - not child friendly at all!!
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now