Why The Secrecy?????

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Snowdrops

Why The Secrecy?????

Post by Snowdrops »

Out of pure interest (ok, nosiness!!) I have just 'phoned the local area education office to see what the top possible score was for this year's 11+ exams (in our area, obviously). I was quite astounded to be told I had to ask for this in writing. Surely this isn't covered by any data protection act, is classified or top secret knowledge in some way? Why on earth would they be so cagey with their answer?

Any ideas - anyone?
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

I had a similar response when I telephoned to inquire how many transfer appeals were successful for a particular GS. Perhaps they like to know who's asking! :wink:
Marylou
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

:D snowdrops - best thing is just to hang around outside the building and wait until someone drops a memory stick or a CD - you'll be able to find out everything then!!!!
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Burneth

Post by Burneth »

hermanmunster wrote::D snowdrops - best thing is just to hang around outside the building and wait until someone drops a memory stick or a CD - you'll be able to find out everything then!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I love this forum...somebody always manages to cheer me up when I am feeling miserable!
[img]http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;51;459/st/20080902/e/DS%27s+1st+day+at+senior/k/f5bf/event.png[/img]

PS I am Burneth and I am a lady....!
Bougalou

Post by Bougalou »

Hi Snowdrops, try emailling. Last year when I requested to know what position my DD was on the waiting list for the nearest comprehensive school, they told me to ask in writing, and then the school in question responded to my email, - very odd, it's worth a try though considering we're in the same county. By the way, have you had a breakdown of your daughter's scores yet. The letter we got said we would get them in due course, but have had nothing yet. Obviously they are of interest to us or appeal purposes. I have decided to ring NYCC if I have had nothing by the end of the week, but will probably be told to write!!
All the best
bouga
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Hi Bouga

There's no mention in the letter of them writing to us again with a breakdown of the scores.

When I rang today to enquire, they said I could email them (that's the same as writing these days!). They also said I could have the raw scores if I wrote for them too.

I just find it incredibly strange that the small piece of information I ask for, which isn't personal to ANYONE, has to be requested for in writing - talk about making work for themselves!!
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Another possibility is that they didn't understand your question Snowdrop. I'm not sure that I do understand what you put in your OP. In Kent the top possible score is 140 in each and every paper. What is it in North Yorkshire? And the maximum possible raw score would be getting all questions right i.e. 100%, wherever you lived.

In Kent there would be many children scoring 140 in all three papers each year - this has to be the case as it is a standardised score, so unless it was a really peculiar sample sitting the 11+ one year (which is unlikely) there will always be some children achieving the maximum score.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now