Good Luck to all the Slough Consortium Test Sitters!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

JaysDarlin

Good Luck to all the Slough Consortium Test Sitters!

Post by JaysDarlin »

A big GOOD LUCK to all those children (and the parents) who are sitting the test this weekend in Slough. May all of the children do well, and reap the benefits of all the hard work that they have put in.

Parents, give yourself a pat on the back for working so hard. We've all done our best, and have tried to be as well informed as possible.

A big THANK YOU to everyone on this site who have been there for guidance and wisdom and help.
chad

Post by chad »

Good Luck to all the children who are taking the Slough grammars exams over the next 2 weeks.
Try to stay calm.... keep thinking positive thoughts...

Please be aware that the consortium has two sitting - Thursday 6th & Saturday 8th Nov as does Slough grammar - Saturday 8th and Saturday 15th (for 'in area' and 'out of area' applicants respectively). Try not to post specifics about the exam as information can benefit late takers.
cordismith

Post by cordismith »

Good luck to everyone from me to.
Hard to believe it's one year since my dd sat them.Seems a lifetime ago now
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Gosh it's Quiet around here, considering that 11+ tests were on this week :shock:

Tut tut, where is everyone???

Anyway DS2 sat for Herschel this morning. Found the NVR rather hard, but felt the VR went better.

Good luck to any others sitting for the Consortium and Slough 11+!!!

:D

BW
Drastic Dad

Post by Drastic Dad »

Bewildered wrote:Gosh it's Quiet around here, considering that 11+ tests were on this week :shock:

Tut tut, where is everyone???

Anyway DS2 sat for Herschel this morning. Found the NVR rather hard, but felt the VR went better.

Good luck to any others sitting for the Consortium and Slough 11+!!!

BW
Same here. NVR was a killer but VR was easy. I had expected the NVR paper to be tough as there is no Maths any more but first time ever he actually failed to complete all the questions in time and made the biggest mistake of not even guessing seven of them. Well, we are looking to the future now. Slough next weekend. I am hoping that VR would drag us through as he constantly scored 95% + in NFER practice papers. I think many kids would have found NVR more difficult and this would bring the required score lower specially when there is no Maths exam. If 120 was the last admission to Langley last year, it should be a bit lower than that this year.
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

I overhead a couple of children on the way out say that they had found the NVR hard also. DS2 also failed to complete 1st section in time. So in the same boat, I think.

Drastic Dad wrote: If 120 was the last admission to Langley last year, it should be a bit lower than that this year.
They would standardise the papers to catch the top 145 within the 120+ category, I believe. Did your child sit for Langley?
DS1 did 11+ there last year. Found the 'entry procedure' in the morning a total nightmare. Very poorly managed. In complete contrast to HG orderly entrance this morning, thankfully.
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hi All!

SAME HERE! Ds sat the Langley exam this morning.

He said he found the VR exam "easy" :shock: and found the NVR exam tough - he said that he had to guess 8 questions and just put "a" down for all of them.

I'm so wound up as Tiffin's NVR exam is meant to be so tough - yet we have completely used up every single teaching resource available for NVR - at least I think we have! :D

I got a good report back from ds who normally never even tells me how his school day went but ,managed to tell me all about the different types that came up! :lol: was happy about that! I was shocked to hear how complex the NVR can be on the real test - I wish there were more resources available for NVR!

I was wondering if there are any materials for NVR 12 plus available - which hopefully would be tougher material? Anyone have any info?
Kusum

Langley 11+

Post by Kusum »

My son appeared for the Langley test 2day and he has the same view. He found NVR tough. He had to guess 4 questions and generally found questions tougher than any paper that he had done. He ran out of time in the last section.VR was 'easier' and he had to guess only 1 or 2.
chad

Post by chad »

Bewildered wrote
How did I miss/forget that? Had no recollection that you were going thru the 11+ treadmill this year. :oops:
Sounds as if they have made up for the lack of a Maths paper by raising the bar on the NVR.
Is it still beginning of Dec for the results?

I would guess that you are hoping for Reading..... Good Luck
Bewildered

Post by Bewildered »

Hi Chad,

Yep, back again :cry:

Completely different this time around though. DS2 has a horizontal attitude to all things in life. You'd think he would be rather upset that the NVR was tough, but nope, his happy go lucky nature has let him completely jump on the positives of the VR. Happily his attitude, has been Quite infectious :D

Results day for HG is 4th Dec.

But you're correct, RGS is the biggie. Only 12 days to go :( , but then that'll be it; until 2013 that is.

BW