2 weeks 2 days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Road Runner

2 weeks 2 days

Post by Road Runner »

Hello everyone

Just thought I would start a new topic as an excuse to ask how everyone waiting for results is doing.

I know Sally-Anne is always around what about everyone else are you all still looking in.

My dd asked me yesterday how long until results day.

I asked her how she is about it and she said her usual "fine".

It' strange to think how I can actually go a day or two now without worrying about the outcome and yet I still come on eher every day.

Lets hope in a couple fo weeks we are all feeling as elated as Barack Obama is today

Hows is everyone else and your dc.

Mel
x
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Oh yes, still here Mel ...

A whole day or two without thinking about results - please tell me your trick! :lol:

DS2 hasn't asked about when the results are but DS1 has and has asked me to text him before he gets home from school so he knows what the mood will be like. He understands me well!

Post by 40 »

hi mel & greta,

glad to hear your still around!

i hav'nt managed to go a whole day without thinking about it but dd seems to have completely forgotten about it! I still think of all the things that may have gone wrong, tell myself to stop being silly, then think about them all over again. I think maybe its easier being ooc now as no one else is talking/ thinking about it so life is very much as normal and theres no big results day as far as dd & school is concerend. Dd & I both know she did her best, leading up to and during the actual test and if she is not selected it not the end of the world!

blanca (now 40 )
Sally-Anne

Re: 2 weeks 2 days

Post by Sally-Anne »

Mel X wrote:I know Sally-Anne is always around
After a fashion Mel, after a fashion! :lol:

DS was doing fine until someone asked, right in front of him, how long it was to the results - very diplomatic of them. :roll:

He was very preoccupied for an hour or so after that, but hopefully he has forgotten all about it again now.

I won't even be reminding him about it on the morning of results day. Doubtless some of the other kids will have been worked up into a total frenzy by their parents, but as far as I am concerned, the longer he is ignorant of when the envelope will arrive, the better. Worrying about it now is pointless!

That said, I wish his Mum could stop thinking about it 2 or 3 times each day! :oops:

S-A
[color=#FFFFFF][size=50]http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk[/size][/color]
rachelmary

2 weeks 2 days

Post by rachelmary »

Hi there

I have just registered but have been reading lots of the posts with interest over the last few (stressful!!) weeks. its nice to hear from others going through the same thing.

My son seems fine about the results day, doesnt even mention it but I on the other hand am finding November a very long month!!

DS only took the test last week as we are out of county with an unsupportive school (therein lies a long tale sigh....) He sat the tests at 4pm (started 20 mins late each time) on Monday and Wednesday last week. Came out of the first smiling but found the second paper more difficult. Anyone out there who did their tests at Grange school last week? How did your chidlren find it?

This is our oldest child (of 3) so I guess we might be going through this all again in two years time (help!!!)

Got to go now, time to fetch the little darlings from school (still another day to tick off until the 21st!!)
Mum of 3
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Oh thank you all for responding. It's so good to know we are all he for each other. Infact I think from now on in we should all just come on here whenever we like to get things off our chest no matter what. Even if it is just to say

"oh my god"!!

Because sometimes thats what I do. I can be just, say, standing in the kitchen preparing food and my mind shoots to 11+ and I think "ooh my god" or I start to think of dd and it all and shed a little tear.

One other thing I shall tell you to make you giggle.

On Sunday we had just carved the roasted chicken and I pulled out the wish bone and immediately turned round to DH (stir frying carrots, his thing) and shoved the second bone at him with an order to make a very important wish. He took it immediately(remember I had a knife) and I just looked at him. He smiled and made his wish. I looked at him again with you know, that look that says darling you had better wished the same as me. Then laughed as he reminded me he was sure he had and actually had sacrificed another annual wish of his(Cheslea winning the league) in order to wish the same!!

Yes I think he got it!!

Mel
xx
Marylou

Re: Mel x

Post by Marylou »

Mel X wrote:Then laughed as he reminded me he was sure he had and actually had sacrificed another annual wish of his(Cheslea winning the league) in order to wish the same!! xx
Don't worry - I'm sure there'll be plenty more roast chickens/cosmic ordering opportunities before that particular outcome becomes critical! (Not that I'm a footie expert. :wink: ) And there's always the Christmas turkey! :lol:
Marylou
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Good to see everyone's got the same thing on their mind! Mel, my DS2 will be happy if your son gave up his wish for Chelsea to win as he supports a rival team!

As the results draw nearer I have been thinking about a second effect of all this and that is will you reward you child if they get the magic 121?

I have always held a stance of small rewards in return for effort but have avoided setting a known reward for passing something with a view that children need to learn the reward of “feeling an accomplishmentâ€
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Greta,

If you are in-county and a successful result virtually guarantees your son a place at his first choice of school, then perhaps you could celebrate this happy (anticipated) outcome in some way that the whole family can enjoy - e.g. a meal out or trip to the cinema - but let DS2 have the final say! That way DS1 won't feel that DS2 is getting treated better - after all, you have already rewarded DS2 for his hard work the same as DS1, so this could simply be a way of celebrating both your boys being at the same school! It would also be acknowledging the wonderful support DS1 gave his brother at the time of the tests. :)

A successful result for our DD would be bittersweet as we would still have to await the allocations in March. We will then probably have a transfer appeal to look forward to before we even know if she can go to school with DD1, who really wants to look after her lil sis at big school... :( however, we still plan to have some kind celebration for DD2 involving all the family, whatever the outcome.
Marylou
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Firstly Blanca

Just realised you must just celebrated your 40th, the new 30!!

CONGRATULATIONS xx

How did you celebrate

Greta

I too took a stance on the pressie thing when my son took the test in. Instead we bought hiim a ps2 game for having worked so hard and we gave it to him before he opend the result. Consequently although very excited when he had passed he was even more excited at the prospect of running upsatirs to play the new FIFA game.

Whatever the outcome we shall probably go out for eats and knowing dh he perhaps will buy her a game too.

Yes I agree that rewarding for good grades etc isn't a bad thing as afterall in the big wide world of work we all work to some targets, deadlines and they too come with rewards at times.

Mel
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now