Transport Issues

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
orangebear4

Transport Issues

Post by orangebear4 »

Having finally made a decision about DD's school, and submitting our SCAF today (as Kent residents), I have just made a rather important discovery, which may be useful to others, but has really put the cat among the pigeons for us. We happily put down RGS as first choice, having ascertained DD was very likely to get a place there. After visiting again this morning and loving it I then emailed KCC about transport.
Yes, I had looked into this before, and read all about the Kent Freedom Pass, for which you pay £50 a year, and the student gets unlimited travel 'anywhere in Kent'. However, it turns out that 'Kent' does not cover Medway, and we are not in fact eligible for a pass, as although we are Kent residents, she would be attending a Medway school.
I now have no idea how we are going to get her to school next year! I may sometimes be able to take her by car, if I go late to work, but not on a regular basis. The bus will cost a fortune I presume, and I doubt we could meet the cost day to day. We never would have even looked at RGS if this information had been made clearer. Has anyone any idea of bus fares (Aylesford to Rochester) or can think of any other way to do this journey at all? :?
superMonkey

Post by superMonkey »

There is a train that goes from Aylesford to Strood, a short walk from the station and she will be able to get a bus that goes straight to RGS - a school bus that costs £1.30. Don't know how much the train will be though.
Hope that helps.
Monkey
orangebear4

Post by orangebear4 »

Thanks for that superMonkey. Do you happen to know the number of the bus, and what sort of time we are looking at? Is there just the one bus, or several? I know I'm thinking ahead, but it impacts on everything else in the household really, and I would like to get it settled! :roll:
superMonkey

Post by superMonkey »

There are a couple of buses - don't know the numbers off hand but they are dedicated school buses to the grammar schools. The stop in question is for all the grammar buses that go over the bridge from Strood to Rochester, so include all the buses from "that" side of the river!I know that one of them leaves at about 10 to 8 because I pass it sometimes!
Monkey
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
orangebear4

Post by orangebear4 »

I have already asked KCC about this, and they told me that MGGS and Invita are the nearest appropriate schools. We would not be eligible for free transport to RGS as we live in Aylesford south (wrong side of the river)! Even if I could change our preferences I just couldn't do that to my daughter now, she really wants RGS, and I feel it wouldn't be fair to her after she has done her part in getting good scores in both tests. There is a bus that goes up through Eccles and Burham. Maybe there is a compromise in there somewhere, or hopefully another parent going my way. Just when I thought we had it sorted!
Thanks for your help. :?
Belinda

Post by Belinda »

Last edited by Belinda on Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jnadams2

Post by jnadams2 »

Orangebear4

Having finally decided upon RGS, just about to fill in my SCAF! I've just read your post about bus fares!

It would seem that living in Kent and sending a child to school in Medway is a bit of a nightmare, as no 'scheme' covers us. I have been told by Arriva that I could pay for a South East Pass which would cover her for all Arriva buses costing £19.00 per week (7 days) or £74.00 for four weeks! Daily the cost is £3.50 in the morning and £1.75 in the afternoon.

The annoying thing is that the 'Kent Freedom Pass' will include our area from June 2009. It will mean that my DS will be entitled to it but obviously not my DD if we send her to RGS. Unfortunately my DS will only be entitled to it for 1 year as he's currently in Year 10 and it doesn't cover sixth form (at the moment)!

Just when I thought it was all decided!!!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Sorry to put the cat amongst the pigeons but a friend's dd gets the bus to/from RGS and there is a problem with too many children trying to get on one double decker bus. Frequently the bus driver stops children getting on the ONLY bus home as the bus is full. I know my friend has complained to the bus company and they are looking into it.
Another friend's dd who goes to Fort Pitt has tried several times to get on this same bus at Rochester but the bus driver just drives straight past her. When her parent telephoned the bus company to complain she was told the same reason: that the bus was full and cannot stop to take any more even though they are aware it is the ONLY bus home.
Surely something needs to be done. :?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now